How to add a featured image to an email campaign so it appears on WhatsApp?

JunaidS7
Rookie
When we post the online email version of a campaign on WhatsApp, it get the featured image and shows it with the posted URL (e.g. https://conta.cc/........). How to set an image in the campaign as a featured image (e.g. the first image in the email) that can be used by apps like WhatsApp to feature into a post? Currently, it fetches the constant contact logo instead.
6 REPLIES 6
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @JunaidS7 ,

There isn't a way to set the image for an email webpage at this time. The link previews on social apps/sites (e.g. Facebook, WhatsApp, etc.) will just kinda pull whatever image shows first in the email, generally speaking, however different platforms all have different link preview coding and methodology. Even between Facebook's Messenger app and actual posts on a Facebook page may have completely different link preview displays. This would also apply to WhatsApp, text messages, and other messaging platforms at this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
AlexN0083
Campaign Contributor

This is really unfortunate. I'm trying to share a landing page on my Facebook page and having the same issue. It keeps using my logo because it's at the top of the landing page (even though I did add another image to the page)...so all landing pages/sign up forms that I share on Facebook will look the same. It can create confusion with readers thinking it's all the same sign-up. Imaging if all blog posts had the same image. If I add a featured image to my post, then it gets rid of the preview and the reader has to actually click on the little blue link, which they rarely do. They click on the image, which won't take them anywhere. What a bummer. :frown:

FranA656
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

This is frustrating. I want to share my newsletter link on social media and not add an image manually as mentioned by someone else. Will this be something we have more control over in the future? 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @FranA656 ,

Our devs are exploring potential options, but it's ultimately tied up with the default functionality of how link previews work on social media sites. 

William A
FranA656
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

Thank you for your quick response. I haven't used this feature before and just realized it's a problem. I'll have to make the decision whether to leave it the way it is or manually add an image. Is it correct that the first image in the email is the image that gets auto-populated? I realize it won't always be the case but in most posts? Would that be a possible solution?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

It can vary based on the program used to read the link's site data, as (for example) even Facebook and its main messaging app Messenger can give completely different images for link previews - regardless of the site plugged in.

The safest bet with email and landing page links is that the preview will be for the first image that displays in the email, but it isn't a guarantee.

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (78%)

Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST