insertting video into emails

SOLVED
Go to solution
KarenD72813
Rookie
All the sudden it feels like everything has changed with both the formatting (trying to edit and create emails) and I can't get YouTube links to be entered into emails anymore (not to mention YouTube shorts, which worked for a blink in time and never again). Price increase a month or so ago but iinstead of improvements, I'm more and more frustrated with this platform. It used to be fast and easy to use. This has been a problem for a few weeks and customer service didn't help. Any thoughts on inserrting video into emails? I don't want to keep calling customer service (they weren't helpful last time). Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @KarenD72813 ,

The only significant change recently to emails has been the inclusion of an event block, for those accounts with access to the newer events beta. Can you provide any further elaboration on what you feel "has changed with the formatting?"

Can you provide any further elaboration on your issue with the YouTube links? I'm not having any issues adding regular YouTube links to my email at the moment, with any of the videos I test with. So if you can provide exact examples of the links you're trying to add, screencaps of the issue, or a detailed description of the behavior, it can help the troubleshooting process. Regarding YouTube Shorts specifically, it was temporarily available in accordance with development from the system used to pull video info for video blocks, but it's something our devs are still ironing out with the embed system used for that block. 

At the end of the day, if a video you're trying to insert, including a YT short, isn't not compatible with the video block, then I'd advise using the image link alternative that functionally looks and acts the same as a video block.

Another workaround when it comes to adding a Shorts link to your video block is to replace the shorts/ part with watch?v= . For example https://youtube.com/shorts/J-mrNqVPEWM would instead be inserted as https://youtube.com/watch?v=J-mrNqVPEWM . This effectively forces the video into the normal YouTube video display on their site, rather than their newer made Shorts display, and works with the embed.ly functionality of the video block better. I was able to do this in my account with every shorts link I entered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @KarenD72813 ,

The only significant change recently to emails has been the inclusion of an event block, for those accounts with access to the newer events beta. Can you provide any further elaboration on what you feel "has changed with the formatting?"

Can you provide any further elaboration on your issue with the YouTube links? I'm not having any issues adding regular YouTube links to my email at the moment, with any of the videos I test with. So if you can provide exact examples of the links you're trying to add, screencaps of the issue, or a detailed description of the behavior, it can help the troubleshooting process. Regarding YouTube Shorts specifically, it was temporarily available in accordance with development from the system used to pull video info for video blocks, but it's something our devs are still ironing out with the embed system used for that block. 

At the end of the day, if a video you're trying to insert, including a YT short, isn't not compatible with the video block, then I'd advise using the image link alternative that functionally looks and acts the same as a video block.

Another workaround when it comes to adding a Shorts link to your video block is to replace the shorts/ part with watch?v= . For example https://youtube.com/shorts/J-mrNqVPEWM would instead be inserted as https://youtube.com/watch?v=J-mrNqVPEWM . This effectively forces the video into the normal YouTube video display on their site, rather than their newer made Shorts display, and works with the embed.ly functionality of the video block better. I was able to do this in my account with every shorts link I entered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
user684585
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks this helped- the watch?v=  worked 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST