Copy and paste formatting issues in text blocks

AlisonF227
Campaign Collaborator

I draft content in Word and need to copy and paste it into the newsletter template to email. Even when I use Control + Shift + V, to paste to match destination formatting, I have some major issues. I lose paragrpah spacing. The bullets are messed up. I lose bold text. etcetera. How do I work around this so I don't have to reformat every single text box? Is there any way I can paste html into a text box? I don't see options that are working that I can try.

4 REPLIES 4
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AlisonF227 ,

I'd honestly recommend not spending time drafting in Word beyond basic text. Problematic formatting can cause issues when pasted into the editor, so it needs to be cleared anyway prior to pasting in. Once pasted in plainly, you can then apply the formatting, bulleting, etc. as desired. Clearing any prior formatting by using a plain-text program like Notepad can also help avoid problematic formatting and compatibility issues.

If you're comfortable with HTML coding, then I'd advise using the custom code editor for more freedom over your email's design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
AlisonF227
Campaign Collaborator

We have a review and approval process to follow before we get to email so I honestly can't draft in the email editor. 

KatieCapps
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

@william_A 

I would like to jump into this thread with a question. Even when I copy and paste from Notepad with NO existing formatting, the Constant Contact editor does not keep the existing format already established. For example, all my headers are 14pt, arial, bold, and orange. When I paste in a new headline (from Notepad -- with NO problematic formatting attached), it will not keep the

destination formatting. It's very tedious to have to reformat every section of text. Is there a way to paste text into the Constant Contact editor and KEEP the destination formatting? 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

The issue isn't that our system will keep the formatting, the issue is that the formatting will remain in the background, and potentially get prioritized over what you manually set in our editor by receiving email programs.

As mentioned in my earlier response, I would advise against trying to copy in formatting from outside programs. You can easily set your emails' default text formattings via the Design tab in the lefthand menu. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 23
Community Conversations: SMS Marketing - Activate, Regulate, Communicate!
2PM - 3:00 PM EST