Changing the email on a contact gives an error that the email aready exists on another (del) contact

SOLVED
Go to solution
KARC
Rookie
0 Votes

A user subscribed with an incorrect @yahoo.con email, but had another @yahoo.com entry with "no permission" set.

I deleted the "no permission" entry, but now I cannot correct the other contact to have the correct email????

Geeting error msg: "This email address already exists in your account."

Yes, but it was deleted - but apparently still there?

How can one fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Does re-adding the "no permission" contact back with the desired email, then changing its email to a junk address (ex: test123@test123.com), allow you to update the contact with the misspelled address?

Have you checked your database through Wordpress to confirm the incorrect email address has been changed / removed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @KARC. How were you adding this new contact? If you add the new contact using the type or paste multiple contacts method, do you receive the error message? 

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
KARC
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi Caitlin, this was added by an API from WordPress. Two entries were made, one with the correct email, but no info and set to "no permission" and one "subscribed" entry with all the info but a typo in the email. I deleted the "no permission" entry manually in Constant Contact and thought I could then change the email on the other "subscribed" entry. Apparently I am caught in a loop as the deleted entry is only soft-deleted. I assume I can get backend support to hard delete that entry tomorrow when they are back at work so that I can then make the email change to the "subscribed" entry.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Does re-adding the "no permission" contact back with the desired email, then changing its email to a junk address (ex: test123@test123.com), allow you to update the contact with the misspelled address?

Have you checked your database through Wordpress to confirm the incorrect email address has been changed / removed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
KARC
Rookie
0 Votes

FIXED - yes, I chatted with support and I coudl see that that was exactly what they did (only I don't know if I could have recovered the deleted myself, but backend support could)

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
JUN 27
Boost Your Email Results with Segmentation & Personalization
2PM - 3PM EST
JUL 10
Getting Started with the Constant Contact Community
2PM - 3PM EST