Summarize Your Email with AI When Posting to Social Media

[See Top Answer] New spacing issue between bullets

AdamH287
Campaign Collaborator

I've just noticed that when copying several old email templates, there is suddenly a great deal more space above and below bullets than there was before. For example:

2024-09-11_10-12-06.png

Previously, I had used line breaks (using my Enter key) to insert single lines of space between these bulleted sections, and those lines were exactly equivalent in height to the height of a regular line of text. But now the amount of space seems to have grown, with extra padding around the line breaks that wasn't there before.

If I remove the line breaks I had previously placed between these bulleted sections, however, there is no space at all, which is also not what I am looking for:
2024-09-11_10-14-53.png
Is this a bug, or a new setting that I can adjust in some way?

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Hello everyone,

After speaking with our higher level technical team, they were also under the impression that the spacing was the default, and are unable to recreate the spaceless behavior in any email templates they're testing in. Additionally, the devs I spoke with have said no recent changes would've affected how the bulleted/numbered list spacing functions, since it was always intended to have spacing, same as it was in the previous builder.

At this point, they're requesting example email campaigns in accounts where the spaceless behavior was available / functional, since that was never an intended functionality. Please email social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with the following details:

• your account username
  • the exact, full name of some example email campaigns in your account where you achieved no spacing between text and the bulleted lists
  • screencaps of the previously non-spaced campaigns
  • The behavior taken with those campaigns - i.e. copying from a template vs. copying from a previously copied campaign, pasting the text from an external source with or without clearing formatting first, etc.

We can't really guarantee or give a time frame on a "fix" for this, since it was never intended functionality for there to be no spacing. Having as much troubleshooting info as possible to know how this was accomplished previously, including example campaigns where the spaceless behavior was accomplished will be necessary for the devs and higher level technical teams. 

15 REPLIES 15
user328819
Campaign Collaborator

I'm running into this problem today as well, the editor is adding extra space before the first bullet and after last bullet in each list, with no way to remove it. It's breaking the formatting of a weekly calendar we've been running in our newsletter.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @user328819 and @AdamH287 ,

I'm testing in my account, and getting the same spacing that has always been the default for bulleted/numbered lists using the text editor, when only using Enter/Return. As an example, this is the look when it's set to 1.2 line spacing:

bulleted list spacing.png

Does adjusting the line spacing make your bulleted list spaced out in a more expected manner?

line spacing.png

Does the issue you're experiencing occur in freshly added text blocks as well, or just ones that have repeatedly copied with the rest of the template? Or, does the issue of either 0 or too much spacing occur in newly made templates as well, or just the one you're currently working in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
AdamH287
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Hi William,

- No, adjusting the line spacing does not help.
- Yes, this is occurring in new text blocks and new emails built in brand new templates.

What I was expecting/have previously experienced looks like this:
2024-09-11_11-55-54.png

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

@user328819 and @AdamH287 , did you originally build the template in the older editor (3GE, big orange Continue button), and then it got converted into the current one (CPE, smaller Continue button)? Or have you been using the current editor for your template for creation and copying?

The reason I'm trying to gather so much info about your previous setups and actions is because the spaced out formatting is technically the expected behavior, so I know the devs will want to have as much info as possible on how it was previously done in the event this becomes a feature request.

William A
AdamH287
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

I think the template was built in mid-2022.

user328819
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

William,

Thanks, appreciate your help. I wish I could offer more, but it's always worked the other way for me, so it's hard to pinpoint.

-Jim

user328819
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

William, the issue I'm having is not being able to remove space between the "heading" of the list and the first and last bullet. I'm attaching a screenshot. Previously I could delete the space between "8 AM" and "Holy Eucharist." Now the editor is inserting blank lines that I can't get rid of. This occurs in the existing text box and also new text boxes I create. It also occurs if I create a new email template.

Screenshot 2024-09-11 115011.png

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

That was always the default functionality of bulleted lists - at least as far as whenever I've edited and worked in the email builder - where some space would exist between the main bit of text, then the first bulleted point. 

Previously, was the bulleted list copied over from another, older template, or was it copied from an external source into your email? Did you use Shift+Enter or Enter to add the bulleted line?

William A
AdamH287
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

For me, with this issue, the bulleted lists I was using that are now reflecting this spacing change (but previously always behaved as I explained above) were not copied from older templates or external sources. They were built in the email editor itself as recently as yesterday.

PediatricsU
Rookie
0 Votes

This has not always been the case. I have been creating a newsletter every week for the last 4-5 years, and I've never had the program add a space before the bulleted list until today. This is what it has always looked like until now:

PediatricsU_0-1726152822213.png

I really want to remove the extra spacing as it messes up our standard format. Is there no way to fix this?

user328819
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

No, this template was made from a CC template maybe 6 months ago. No I didn't use shift+enter to create the line. I used to be able to get a bulleted list with no space between the list and the header, and as of this morning, the editor now inserts a space.

NWVEG20
Rookie
0 Votes

I am also having similar problems.  I would like there to be a small space between bulleted items, but the text of each bullet be single-spaced.  If I put a blank bullet between each bullet, the spacing is fine.  But if I change that bullet to not be a bullet, the space between bullets becomes 3 times as large.

An email I sent 2 weeks ago with the exact same block of text came out just the way I wanted it regarding the spacing between bullets.  Now, copying that exact same block of text, the bullets are either jammed too closely or have huge gaps between each bullet.  It doesn't matter if I enter the text by copying and pasting, or go to a new area of the document and type each thing in by hand - the spacing of bullets is substantially different than it was just a couple of weeks ago.  Something must have been changed at Constant Contact that would explain the difference.  Peter Spendelow, Northwest VEG

CourtneyK
Rookie
0 Votes

I am having the same issue. 

Last week's bullets (not space after bullet):

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 10.51.11 AM.png

This week's (space after bullet):

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 10.49.59 AM.png

We do not like the look of the space after the bullet. I would be great if this wasn't automatic

user786233
Rookie
0 Votes

I am also having the same issue. When will we have a fix for this? 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello everyone,

After speaking with our higher level technical team, they were also under the impression that the spacing was the default, and are unable to recreate the spaceless behavior in any email templates they're testing in. Additionally, the devs I spoke with have said no recent changes would've affected how the bulleted/numbered list spacing functions, since it was always intended to have spacing, same as it was in the previous builder.

At this point, they're requesting example email campaigns in accounts where the spaceless behavior was available / functional, since that was never an intended functionality. Please email social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with the following details:

• your account username
  • the exact, full name of some example email campaigns in your account where you achieved no spacing between text and the bulleted lists
  • screencaps of the previously non-spaced campaigns
  • The behavior taken with those campaigns - i.e. copying from a template vs. copying from a previously copied campaign, pasting the text from an external source with or without clearing formatting first, etc.

We can't really guarantee or give a time frame on a "fix" for this, since it was never intended functionality for there to be no spacing. Having as much troubleshooting info as possible to know how this was accomplished previously, including example campaigns where the spaceless behavior was accomplished will be necessary for the devs and higher level technical teams. 

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
SEP 19
Achieve Your Goals with Multi-Channel Marketing Campaigns
2PM - 3PM EST