Automated Email series

Carrieda
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Hello CC Community,

I have a question. I have set up an email automation with a trigger "joins a list". Here is where it gets tricky, I have a lot of contacts who I want to manually trigger the automated emails for. They have already joined a list, but not received my nurture series yet. Yeah, I did it a little backwards! 😉

So, if I move them from one list to a different list on the "trigger list" will this trigger that series automatically? OR is there a better way to do that?

Thanks for your help!

12 REPLIES 12
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @Carrieda ,

Each account can only really have one functional Welcome Email at a time, which only triggers off of signup form additions. If you need more than one "welcome" automations active and running at the same time, or automations that can trigger off of list additions from any source, you'd need to be on the Plus plan using advanced automation series - even if they're only one step.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Carrieda
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Thank you William!

It's not that I need 2 automated email series, I just need a way to trigger a send to some of the people on an existing list. Now, if I manually move them to another list, does that trigger it or are you saying I need the Plus Plan for that?

I have a bunch of users that I no longer send to that I think I am paying for. Perhaps I can deactivate them and not have such a big increase wwhen I move to the next plan?
Thank you!

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Manually moving contacts into a list they're not currently a part of will only trigger advanced autoseries with list join triggers. Welcome email automation can only trigger off of sign up forms - integrations we've made, coded sign up forms (pop-up and inline), and landing page forms.

---

As far as reducing contact numbers prior to upgrading, I'd recommend deleting and unsubscribing your recommended-for-removal bounces. For a lot of accounts, this is the primary way they keep their contact numbers down, and make sure they're only sending and paying for quality contacts.

For further reduction, you can use segmentation to filter out contacts who've chronically not opened your emails. You can then further manage this segment by adding it to a list, determining which contacts may still be worth keeping (such as very recent additions based on Date Added), and then deleting all the remaining non-openers and the segment list. There's also our pre-built low engagement segmentation, which you can use to re-engage those specific contacts that rarely if ever open your emails, and determine if they're worth keeping based on that (or simply delete them without re-engaging).

William A
Carrieda
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I appreciate it! Now I know exactly what I need to do. TY!

Carrieda
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Hi William, I have upgraded to the Plus program and deleted some of my contacts. I went back into the automated series I already created to edit the trigger and it shows the same trigger options as it did in the "core" plan. Where do I choose adding someone manually as a trigger? Thanks for your help!

Carrie

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

If you've been able to set up that automation to be a true series and not just a welcome email-type, then List Join is the correct trigger to set for it. 

Here's the main article for setting up a multi-step advanced automation series, if you're needing instructions and visual guidance.

William A
Carrieda
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

How would you recommend I send this to people who already got a welcome email with my free gift and have been on my list for sometime, but now I want to send the other 8 nurture series emails to them.

Do I create a temporary series without a welcome email and send it to all the people who already signed up and are in my list and once it's over set up a second series for all the new joiners with a welcome letter as the first in the series? Thanks

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Yes, that'd be the only way of sending it to them that wouldn't include the welcome they already received. So you'd create the secondary list that you'd want the series attached to, then copy your series and remove the welcome email step. Have it trigger off of list additions specifically to the secondary list, make any edits to timing you feel are necessary, activate the series, then add those particular contacts to that secondary list so they can enter the queue.

William A
Carrieda
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Ok great! As I was playing around with activating the list, a prompt came up and asked me if I want to include the existing people on those contact lists, and I do. Is that an easier way to accomplish the same thing? 

Also, when I try to change the welcome email on the original series, it will not let me change the title of the email? Is that normal? Thanks so much!

PS: I waited on hold for 20 minutes and still didn't get an answer, so I appreciate your help William!

Thank you so much!

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

It would still send them the first step, but yes it'd effectively accomplish what you want to already with less contact shifting around. As far as the title change, this only occurs with the singular-step Welcome Emails. Your normal autoseries should have a "rename step" option for their steps' 3-dot menus.

William A
DavidD568
Brand Strategist
0 Votes

How do I remove an automation?  I  created it but it won't allow me to delete it.

Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @DavidD568. Were you looking to delete a step when creating your automated series or the entire series? Steps can be deleted when creating the series by clicking on the three dots next to the step. Series are deleted from the Campaigns page by clicking the three dots on the right side of the page and selecting Delete. 

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST