BCC instead of TO field?

DavidD7524
Rookie
0 Votes

Hello all! Does CC have the ability to address email campaigns to a BCC field instead of the TO field?  At my company, we use distribution lists extensively to send email to many employees and we’d like to be able to address our campaign to, for instance, everyone who works for our company in southern California.  Internally we have a group that can distribute that email appropriately but if Constant Contact sends the initial campaign to SoCalEmployees in the TO field, people who reply will frequently accidently “Reply to all” especially from mobile devices.  To prevent that we’d like the SoCalEmployees to be populated in the BCC field meaning that any reply would only go to the designated reply address. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @DavidD7524 ,

All emails sent through us are treated as being sent directly to the contact, so even if they reply all their message would only go directly to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
DavidD7524
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi, William! Is that the way CC works? Asking because I'm pretty sure if we put a group name in the “To” field then we’ll get Reply to all.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

If you send an email through us to a distribution list, then that distribution list forwards the email to a group of people, we aren't able to control that since it's outside of our system. In that regard, you'd need to change how the dist list forwards emails on, in order to have the forwardees be BCC'd.

Edit: If you're using a dist list as your sending address, then the forwardees may also be able to still "reply-all" to some degree, but ultimately this is something that'd depend on the receiving servers / email programs and how they're setup to function.

William A
DavidD7524
Rookie
0 Votes

Ok, if the dist list is in the “to”, it stays in the “to” when it is distributed. And if the dist list is in the “bcc”, it stays in the “bcc” when it is distributed. Can Constant Contact support having a bcc field, if no, then that is that! 🙂 😊

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Fom Compliance reasons BCC isn't allowed for emails sent through us, all sendouts can only be treated as direct sends.

William A
brendab80
Rookie
0 Votes

I am new to this. Creating a list to send to customers but obviously I do not want other customers to see each others emails. Will they see all the emails on the list?

Kyle_R
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @brendab80! Welcome! The recipients of your email will not see any of the other email addresses in your list. In their inbox they will see an email that includes only their email address in the TO field.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST