Missing Dot in ConstantContact newsletter URL

DeanW93
Regular Participant

Missing Dot in ConstantContact newsletter URL

Each week I receive a newsletter from the White Memorial organization. This comes through CC. At the top of each issue is a link to view the newsletter at the Constant Contact website. However this link is ALWAYS incorrect in that there is no dot before the "com". Can someone tell me why this is happening and what the fix is? The newsletter owner has no ideas so it is up to CC to remedy this.

Please see screenshot below for details. Thanks.

ConstantContact error.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Frankie_P

Hi @DeanW93 

I apologize this is happening with the email you are receiving. Is this happening for you in different email clients? However we cannot do troubleshooting for an account you do not have access to. Instead we suggest the sender of this email to contact our Support for further assistance.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
DeanW93
Regular Participant

Franke, I have only one email client, Outlook 2007. It seems odd that an email client would drop the dot. It seems more likely that your software is formating the URL incorrectly. Please check that it is for this client. I have communicated with her and she is clueless about computers. I think she just inherited this newsletter with her position and has no idea how it works.

Hi @DeanW93 

I can understand how important it is for any link to work correctly. Testing your email client is always a troubleshooting step we suggest as some clients can read the code of an email differently. We also would be happy to help look into this experience. Please have the sender call into our Support so we can continue to look into this. 

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
DeanW93
Regular Participant

So now it has been 3 months and you have not fixed this! The problem is in YOUR URL in a newsletter that YOU send out. I have talked to your client and they know nothing about how to fix this because YOU are the ones that add this faulty URL to the top of every newsletter. PLEASE JUST ADD THE FREAKIN DOT!!  How difficult is t hat?? Your customer service SUCKS!

Hi @DeanW93 

I apologize this is the experience you've had! This is definitely not the experience we want our users to have with our Support Team. In fact we would like to collect a few more details from you as we continue to look into this experience. Please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, a reference to this post, and the following information:

• Name of your email campaign
  • Affected URL string
  • Name of spam filter, security program, or firewall used on your computer
  • Email address and email client used during this experience
  • Your internet service provider

Frankie.P

mikew511
Occasional Participant

I have seen similar missing-dot problems in mails from Constant Contact and numerous other sources. It appears in messages as missing images (little question-mark icon in my mail viewer) or large sizes or large spaces.

As far as I have traced this, the raw http within the mail shows lines carefully folded but missing a dot at the beginning of a line. Either it is missing from the host name of a URL (folded lines like

example=

com

instead of

example=

.com

making a broken reference to "examplecom"

or missing a dot as a decimal point in a number that has been split over the lines as in

1=

instead of

1=

making the number 15 instead of 1.5

I have not been able to trace any of this, but discussions on (google search for "missing dot in email") mostly were technical developers trying to fix their own software dealing with SMTP transparency dot-stuffing documented in RFC 5321 "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol".

I do not think there is a problem at the sending end either at Constant Contact or the other senders I have seen. Instead it may be at some intervening server between you and my email service.

I apologize for the length here, and the fact that I do not really have a solution to suggest.

-- Mike

Hello @mikew511,

Thank you for the information! If you have an example of this please don't hesitate to reach out so we can take a look at yours as well. Thank you! 

Zoe H.

mikew511
Occasional Participant

Over about the last year I've received 284 messages from constant contact customers. Over 25% of them have the missing dot problem. What shows up in each message are numerous references to various legitimate things at constantcomment.com, but because of the way the html content is coded and then folded for email, the luck of the random placement in the message of the dot sometimes places it at the beginning of the line where it is mishandled by some server in the chain between Constant Contact and my mail server at verizon.net (which is AOL). One recent example is in a weekly news message from Sky and Telescope <news@skyandtelescope.org> dated Fri, 27 Nov 2020 16:01:27 -0500 (EST). 

From the Nov 27 message, the following snippet shows the problem. See the line ending "constantcontact=" and the next beginning "com" where the dot is missing

<pre>

Having trouble viewing this email?

<a track=3D"off" shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://campaign.r20.constantcontact=

com/render?m=3D1118606474481&ca=3D815f680b-f03b-4e03-905b-a718a4caa9db" ta=

rget=3D"_blank">Click here to read it on the Web.

</a>

</pre>

This particular example did not make any obvious visual problems, but attempting to "click here" failed and showed the following error note.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.48.52 PM.png

There does not seem to be a way to post a file here, but if you need more examples or entire messages, have someone on a technical team contact me.

I should note that my intuition is that AOL (yahoo, verizon) causes the problem by mishandling the dot, but I have seen discussions where developers have suggested getting around the problem by, e.g. the sender going to extra pains to encode the whole HTML using base64.

Thanks for your attention,
 -- Mike (engineering in internet since 1978

Thank you for providing that info, @mikew511 . I've gotten your case over to our engineers for further review. 

With that said, since it is being caused by security programs outside of our system, there isn't an ETA on a fix at the moment. If you could reply to the automated @ mention email with affected email files, as well as provide any spam filters, firewalls, or other security programs you use, it'll help our engineers in figuring out the root cause of the issue.

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.