Tutorial: Create custom segments of your contacts

SOLVED
Go to solution
TomD3374
Rookie
0 Votes

Let's say I have 2 lists of contacts already created and in the system. One is called Old List, the other is called New List. I now want to combine them into a list called "Best List." I don't want them to be all mixed together alphabetically or anything like that. I would like one list to begin where the other leaves off. So I can look at my new list and be able to tell where the old list ends and the new list begins. I'm sure this can be done, I just don't know how. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @TomD3374 ,

You want to merge your two lists into a separate singular list, but you want the contacts still separated out - like pouring water into a glass of oil - all one place, but still distinctively separate? There wouldn't really be a way to do this or make it particularly obvious, though you could potentially make their original list names a custom field that you can sort by in that merged list. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand what you're going for or needing from the list setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @TomD3374 ,

You want to merge your two lists into a separate singular list, but you want the contacts still separated out - like pouring water into a glass of oil - all one place, but still distinctively separate? There wouldn't really be a way to do this or make it particularly obvious, though you could potentially make their original list names a custom field that you can sort by in that merged list. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand what you're going for or needing from the list setup.

William A
TomD3374
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks so much, William. It's not critical that the two lists are separate within that one list, so I'm going to drop that part of my plan. Thanks for directing me to the instructions on how to merge lists, I'll get right at it. Here's one last question. If I do a mailing with this newly created merged list, and there are a few unplanned duplicate addresses, will those unlucky recipients receive two messages? Or does the system automatically prevent duplications? Thanks! --Tom

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Correct, same as sending to multiple individual lists, when you do a merge our system will simply look for any dupes and prevent them from occurring. In either regard, you needn't worry about dupes when it comes to sending.

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST