Bogus Opens and Clicks

AndrewW01963
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Every week I send out 70,000 plus emails and get hundreds of fake 'opens' and 'clicks'. Today (April 14, 2024) I got thousands of fake clicks. This has been a CC problem for years. I guess CC thinks it is fooling users and keeping them motivated -- but the opposite is the truth. The bogus opens make it very difficult to weed out bad email addresses from my list.

2 REPLIES 2
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AndrewW01963 ,

If their network or email program uses some kind of security tool that "opens" emails and "clicks" their links to check for malware, it can result in that kind of data. You can try switching your account's email authentication to self-authentication, which can show the security algorithms that emails being sent through us by you are effectively coming directly from you, and avoid triggering the clicks/opens from bots. However it's unfortunately not a guarantee as some security programs are simply built to function like this regardless of source. As such, this is an industry-wide problem for email marketing, similar to how bots on every social media platform can potentially skew engagement numbers if not constantly weeded out.

You could also try identifying and isolating the contacts using these security bot clicks, and add them to lists denoting they're using such programs. Then you could send copies of your email to the bot versions of your lists, so you're still getting the message sent, but they're not skewing the data of your main sendout. Or, if you feel the contacts aren't actually worthwhile, then your other option is to delete them. 

Beyond that, there's not much else you can do from your end. Our devs are constantly trying to identify the various programs that utilize this functionality, so they can set our system to ignore the behavior and triggers from these particular programs. If, after setting your account up for self-auth, the click rates continue to be inflated or worsen, then it may be worth calling in. That way our general support or higher level technical team can see if there's any further info that can be gleamed from the content of the emails with you live on the phone, or to see if the domains of the contacts that are seeming to bot-click them show any other particular consistencies we can track.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
AndrewW01963
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

"Self-authentication" was just a long chase down a tech rabbit hole.  Useless.  Here is what was at the far end:

Edit the Resource Record

Record type
   A   AAAA   CAA   CNAME   DS   MX   NS   PTR   SRV   TLSA   TXT 

Domain name
 .HawaiiFreePress.com.
TTL 

Canonical name *
* Required fields
OK Apply Cancel
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST