Bullets bolding entire sentence

NancyS9253
Campaign Collaborator

How can I get a bulleted list with just the key words highlighted at the beginning. It works without bullets or numbers *manually inserting bold, but when either number or bullet is applied the entire sentence is bf. How can I override that. And keep the hanging indent?

5 REPLIES 5
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @NancyS9253 ,

So this will require finessing, just due to how the list formatting functionality works. For reference on what's being discussed:

list format.png

1. When highlighting the first word, whether you click and drag or double-click, it will result in everything for the number being formatted.
  2. When excluding the first word for formatting, the number will not be affected.
  3. To accomplish this required the workaround. After the first word, retype it and continue writing your wording for the line. Format the words you want formatted. Then delete the first, unformatted word. This should result in just the already-highlighted word and number being formatted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
ElizabethW
Rookie

This workaround didn't work for me. I had "Market Market to Market was in Central Iowa." I bolded "Market to Market" and as soon as I deleted the first Market, the entire phrase was bolded and italicized.

ElizabethW
Rookie
0 Votes

I'm curious why this functionality changed. I've been creating a newsletter using Constant Contact for nearly 10 years, and this problem just emerged in the last few weeks.

Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @ElizabethW,

I'll have to check with Will to see if there was a step missing, because I was also unable to to get the workaround to work based on his steps (no offense to Will). What did work for me is that if I wrote something like "Example Example" and then bolded the second 'Example,' deleted the first 'Example' but left the space between them so it would look like this " Example" it would not format the whole line.

So I would write out whatever sentences I would want bulleted, double the first word, bold the second word, highlight the first word but leave the space between the two words un-highlighted, then delete the first word, leaving that space as the first "character" in the sentence, it would not disturb the whole sentence.

1.  This is an example

2.  This is also an example

3.  This is still also an example

You'll see there's the extra space before the sentence starts. I agree this isn't the best way to go around this task, so I'll investigate more and let our developers know there is interest in changing the experience.

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

MaryJoC83
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Just coming to report the exact same issue. I tried the clunky work around...I do NOT want an extra blank space. I am assuming there is something hard coded to make this happen? It seems like something that should have been debugged before release. 😕

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST