Check out the Latest Product Updates for Summer 2024!

Creating contact

cjcardoni
Rookie
0 Votes

Your system keeps telling me an email, which I know to be valid, is not valid, likely because of the "first.last@company.com"

format. I have other working contacts from this same company in the same format. I've reentered the address several times (not copy/paste). Please advise.

6 REPLIES 6
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @cjcardoni ,

Are there any accents in the name - á, à, ä, é, è, ê, ë, í, î, ï, ó, ô, ö, ú, û, ü or ç ? When these are part of an email address it will result in the address not being accepted, even when the actual first name and last name fields are due to how coding for email addresses works with several functions of accounts. If the address has an accent, then you'll need to get a different email address from the contact to utilize.

If the address doesn't have accents, check your unsubscribed contacts to see if the address is in there. If you're trying to add a single contact, and they're already unsubscribed from you, it can result in the single-add method erroring out. 

The other troubleshooting method would be to add the contact via the type/paste multiple or file import methods. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
cjcardoni
Rookie
0 Votes

No accents or unusual characters. I've tried several ways of adding it. We have several contacts from the same company, with the same structure, and in fact I wen to their website, copied an email, and pasted into the single-add window and it worked fine. He just joined that company (so wouldn't be an unsubscribe). Any possibility his email is just too new? 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

When copying the email over were there any spaces that got snuck in at some point? Or maybe a period that was accidentally typed/pasted as a comma or similar-looking character?

William A
cjcardoni
Rookie
0 Votes

I've copied/pasted, re-typed, copied an exiting contact and changed the name, created a list with one contact and uploaded - I've really tried many ways. I'm stumped.

FYI his email was sent to us by someone else at his company (who's email is in our database), and he was copied on that email, so there is a working email there, and it works when I copy/paste into Outlook

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

The only other suggestion I'd have is calling in so you can securely provide the email address for live troubleshooting. If the email address doesn't have accents and isn't able to be imported via single-add, type/paste multiple, nor in a file import then it just may not be able to be accepted by the system.

William A
cjcardoni
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jul 10
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EST
Jul 25
Webinar: Master Your Digital Marketing Metrics
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EST