Only 2 Weeks Remain in the Ready, Set, Send Challenge!

Custom Field Automation Issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
user494721
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Hi all!

I do internal communications through constant contact. I am making automated email that sends on employee anniversaries. Using the default anniversary date field in the body of the email displays the date as: "YYYY-MM-DD," which is less than ideal. So, I figured I'd create a custom text field where I could spell out, "Month DD, YYYY," but whenever I use the custom text field I just get: "[[custom.anniversary_date OR ""]]." in the preview and in the test email. What am I doing wrong here? What's the best way to do a custom date spelled out, "Month DD, YYYY"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

I think I may have misread your original post. Do you have your employee contacts setup with two different anniversary dates - one that's an actual anniversary field that the automation is based off of, and the other a custom field that will actually be set to display written out?

If so, then you can completely ignore my original response. When you preview your email or send a test, the contact detail displays the personal information you provided for your own account to give you an idea of what your contacts will see. If the information isn't available to pull into your preview, or if you're using custom fields, the fallback text displays instead. As long as you've gone through the insert contact details process, then it will trigger as expected. If you just manually typed out [[custom.anniversary_date OR ""]], then it won't trigger properly since it's not coded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @user494721 ,

This article standards provides available date formats that could be included with emails as inserted contact details. Anniversaries can't do typed out month names, so there wouldn't be a way to include this as a detail in an email. 

William A
user494721
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

So even if I created a custom profile field for anniversaries, I cannot spell out a date as, "Month DD, YYYY"? 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

I think I may have misread your original post. Do you have your employee contacts setup with two different anniversary dates - one that's an actual anniversary field that the automation is based off of, and the other a custom field that will actually be set to display written out?

If so, then you can completely ignore my original response. When you preview your email or send a test, the contact detail displays the personal information you provided for your own account to give you an idea of what your contacts will see. If the information isn't available to pull into your preview, or if you're using custom fields, the fallback text displays instead. As long as you've gone through the insert contact details process, then it will trigger as expected. If you just manually typed out [[custom.anniversary_date OR ""]], then it won't trigger properly since it's not coded.

William A
user494721
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Right, so I have a custom field for spelled out anniversary dates as a workaround for the date formatting in the default anniversary field. I have set up the custom field in the automations email as outlined in the directions you shared, however I still get, "[[custom.anniversary_date OR ""]]" in preview mode when a recipient who has the data on the profile selected to view. I have even tried inserting other custom fields populated with data from the user I use to test, and I still get the same result.

For reference, I do all my Constant Contact work in Chrome.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

If you followed the instructions, then you've done what you need to. IF you want to truly test this, with a contact (such as a fake contact using your email address and today as the date) that has the custom anniversary field, then you'd need to make the automation live and test it by actually triggering the automation.

If you're still unable to get it to work as expected, I'd advise calling in for live auotmation troubleshooting. 

William A
user494721
Campaign Contributor

I performed a live test as you suggested and everything worked as it should. Thank you!

Featured Article

Use Sections to Build Email Campaigns Faster and Improve Engagement Rates

Using Sections while designing your marketing email not only increases your own efficiency but helps you to deliver a more friendly, organized message. Check out some of the key benefits of using sections in email.

See Article

Featured Thread

Casual Conversations: What's your go-to playlist?

If you listen to music while you work, share your playlist below so we can be inspired and maybe find some new music!

View thread

Featured Thread

Ready, Set, Send Challenge Week 5: Reporting

Discover tips for maximizing engagement after you hit send!

Join challenge
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
OCT 24
Engage and Convert: The Email and Social Media Power Play
2PM - 3PM EST