Master email marketing fundamentals. Join the Ready, Set, Send Challenge Week 2!

Email Editor Migration FAQ (Third Gen > Cross-Platform)

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello Community users!

Constant Contact has supported two different email editors over the past few years – the Third-Generation Editor (3GE) and the Cross-Device Editor (CPE). Since CPE launched in 2019, we have continued to improve on its capabilities, including adding additional features not available in 3GE – such as being able to edit emails on both the desktop website and mobile app.

We are now ready to retire the 3GE experience. Starting in October 2024, users will no longer be able to create new 3GE campaigns or copy from existing 3GE campaigns. Instead, our developers have made it possible to convert 3GE emails into CPE emails, to smooth the transition for users to the current editing experience.

This article will cover expectations and frequently asked questions regarding the retirement of 3GE and migration to CPE. We will also provide workarounds where certain 3GE elements might not translate 1:1 to CPE.

Table of Contents

How do I know if I am still using 3GE and can I just switch before October?

Click to see more

If your account was created prior to April 2022, and you’ve continued to make copies of older campaigns, then it’s possible you are still using 3GE.

You can identify which editor you are using in a few ways, such as by the block and top menus.

3ge cpe visual difference.png

Related: Switching from the third-generation email editor to the Cross Device Editor

If you want to create a new email with the CPE experience, simply follow the steps for creating a new email here. Clicking Create will automatically take you to the current editor. If it is time for an email makeover, you might want to consider using the Brandkit Feature to create and save your brand, and then easily apply it to one of our many optimized, pre-built templates.

What happens to my old email campaigns, including those I’ve sent or have already scheduled?

Click to see more

Reporting data for 3GE campaigns will be maintained, as well as their permanent URL (i.e. webpage version). You will not be able to copy previously sent 3GE, and are currently expected to become labeled as “Legacy Email” for their campaign type by the end of October.

There are possible structural differences that might occur during the conversion process, so we strongly recommend you unschedule the campaign, review the email template, make any necessary changes, and then reschedule.

What are the anticipated structural differences that might occur when 3GE converts to CPE?

Click to see more

Certain blocks do not exist in CPE, and will no longer be available when 3GE is retired. If your converted email includes the following blocks, they will change to spacer blocks:

• Coupon blocks
  • Donation blocks
    • Going forward, the platform you use to collect donations will need to be hyperlinked in your emails, landing pages, or event invites manually. If donations are collected directly from the payment processor (e.g. some PayPal business accounts), we recommend reaching out to their support to make sure you are using the right information to insert in your email campaigns.
  • Eventbrite blocks
    • Going forward, you will have to manually hyperlink your Eventbrite events in your email campaign.
  • SurveyMonkey blocks
    • Going forward, you will have to manually hyperlink your SurveyMonkey surveys in your email campaign.

Related: 

Insert, style, or remove text links in an email

Clickable image links in an email

Insert and customize a button in an email

The Cross Device Editor has expanded formatting options not available in 3GE. If you notice any differences, you can quickly and easily resolve the formatting issues in CPE.

If you notice any other differences not mentioned already, please let us know and we will make sure it gets in front of our developers and update the list accordingly.

How can I familiarize myself with the Cross Device Editor?

Click to see more

If I still need assistance with using CPE, who can I contact?

Click to see more

Constant Contact provides a ton of different channels to support you in your marketing endeavors. You are welcome to ask questions here on the Community, or you can check our Help Center for more options, including phone support – where you can share your Constant Contact browser tab with a live agent for a more direct, 1:1 learning experience.

For some additional resources on crafting and tweaking your email, consider some of the following guides:

I have some feedback regarding CPE. Where should I share it?

Click to see more

Our developers love getting insight from our customers! Please feel free to leave feedback with any of our support channels, or visit the Product Ideas board here on the Community. Please keep our Community Guidelines in mind and include as much information as possible; including specific use cases, so our developers have a clear vision on how the requested feature might improve the Constant Contact experience.

If your feedback includes sensitive account information, please send an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com and include your account username, so we can identify your account and track the feedback accordingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
0 REPLIES 0

Featured Article

Use Sections to Build Email Campaigns Faster and Improve Engagement Rates

Using Sections while designing your marketing email not only increases your own efficiency but helps you to deliver a more friendly, organized message. Check out some of the key benefits of using sections in email.

See Article

Featured Thread

Casual Conversations: What's your go-to playlist?

If you listen to music while you work, share your playlist below so we can be inspired and maybe find some new music!

View thread

Featured Thread

Ready, Set, Send Challenge: Week 2 - Designing the Perfect Email

Learn how to create emails to effectively engage with your audience and drive the results you want.

Join challenge
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
OCT 24
Engage and Convert: The Email and Social Media Power Play
2PM - 3PM EST