Master email marketing fundamentals. Join the Ready, Set, Send Challenge Week 2!

Headline Did Not Update

DrewK
Rookie
0 Votes

Hello!

Has anyone had an issue with a headline not updating? 

I often "copy" a previous email and then update the heading, photos, text and button links. I often change colors and themes to make the email appear fresh, but keep a consistent look and feel. 

Several times now I will update a headline, click "save", and send it to my list, only to find that the headline did not update. 

Looking forward to hearing from the CC community!

Drew 

5 REPLIES 5
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @DrewK ,

Was the headline showing as updated in the editor prior to you sending it? Did it show as updated in the Preview and Test Sends prior to sending it out?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
DrewK
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi William, 

Thanks for the reply! 

So I think the timeline went something like this: 

1. Email composed (from copy of previous message) 

2. Test email sent 

3. Corrections made to the headline 

4. Click "save" 

5. Email sent to list (without another test being sent)

So, to answer your question, I did not do another preview or test send to really see if it updated. 

Hope that helps!

Drew 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

When you say "headline," are you referring to a block of text in your email like an article header, or are you referring to the email's header where the subject line, from address, etc. are located?

Does the same issue occur when you copy the email again, where you make the "heading" edits, then test send to yourself? Or, does the issue occur with newly made emails, or emails copied from an earlier source?

William A
DrewK
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi William, 

Yes, a block of text that serves as the section header. 

I've only noticed the issue when I edit a message that was copied from a previous, sent, email. 

DrewK_0-1728066338831.png

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Do you have a resuable template that you can copy more directly from, rather than copying from a previous copy every time?

The reason I ask is because when emails are copied, they retain some background coding. The problem is that this can become compounding, so after several generations of copied-copies, sporadic formatting, display, and editing issues can occur. The best way to avoid this is to either copy from a direct source, like a reusable template, or to delete the problematic blocks and replace them with new blocks of the same type.

William A

Featured Article

Use Sections to Build Email Campaigns Faster and Improve Engagement Rates

Using Sections while designing your marketing email not only increases your own efficiency but helps you to deliver a more friendly, organized message. Check out some of the key benefits of using sections in email.

See Article

Featured Thread

Casual Conversations: What's your go-to playlist?

If you listen to music while you work, share your playlist below so we can be inspired and maybe find some new music!

View thread

Featured Thread

Ready, Set, Send Challenge: Week 2 - Designing the Perfect Email

Learn how to create emails to effectively engage with your audience and drive the results you want.

Join challenge
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
OCT 24
Engage and Convert: The Email and Social Media Power Play
2PM - 3PM EST