Recent activity for contact shows an email was opened but also undeliverable?

user18939
Rookie
0 Votes

Good morning, I am currently cleaning up my contact lists, so I am investigating contacts who have recently had an email that was undeliverable. When I look at the Engagement-->Recent Activity part of the contact details for some contacts, I am seeing situations where an email was 'opened' but also 'bounced as undeliverable'. For example: Apr 17, 2024 11:05am • Bounced as undeliverable • Email • for [email name] 11:03am • Opened • Email • [email name] 11:03am • Was sent • Email • [email name] These people have had previous undeliverable emails (some opened and some not). How is it possible that an email was undeliverable but was also opened?

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @user18939 ,

Undeliverable email addresses are like getting a busy signal on your phone. When we attempted to send the email, it means the ISP didn't respond, so we'll keep trying to deliver the email for up to 3 days. In the email's reporting, the contact shouldn't be included among the Undeliverables if we were finally able to get it through, but their engagement notes will still show the initial failed attempts. 

For more info on bounces and how to manage them, make sure to check out this article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST