What are effective survey questions to help me better understand my customers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grace_R
Employee

An often-asked question we've heard from some is "I'd like to send out a survey to my customers in order to better understand them. But I'm having trouble formulating questions. What should I be asking in order to get useful responses?"

What advice/tips do you have to help?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

I've found that the shorter the survey, the higher the completion rate, so start with the most vital questions. You can always send a follow-up survey with more questions at a later date. One Question Surveys have a very high completion rate, but that may not work for your specific situation.

That said, a combo of both open-ended and yes/no questions seem to work best. "On a scale of" questions tend lead to murky/vague data.

Position the questions around their pain points rather than around your business. People love to talk about themselves.

Hope that helps!

Melanie Diehl

Melanie & co Marketing Collective

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

View solution in original post

Chris-S
Administrator

Flexing some of my User Experience Design muscles, I concur with @MelanieDiehl  that the most effective survey questions were those that were closed-ended. These questions give respondents a predetermined set of answer options, such as multiple-choice, rating scales, or yes/no questions. They are simple to answer and yield insightful data.

Another type of question that proved successful was Likert scale questions, which require respondents to rate their level of agreement or disagreement with a statement on a scale, usually ranging from strongly agree to strongly disagree. These types of questions are useful for measuring attitudes and opinions on a specific topic.

Additionally, incorporating demographic questions into a survey can provide valuable insights by allowing for data segmentation based on factors like age, gender, location, or occupation. This can help identify the preferences and needs of different user groups.

Exciting news! Announcing our latest offering, Campaign Builder. Create stunning email campaigns effortlessly and efficiently with our intuitive tool!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

I've found that the shorter the survey, the higher the completion rate, so start with the most vital questions. You can always send a follow-up survey with more questions at a later date. One Question Surveys have a very high completion rate, but that may not work for your specific situation.

That said, a combo of both open-ended and yes/no questions seem to work best. "On a scale of" questions tend lead to murky/vague data.

Position the questions around their pain points rather than around your business. People love to talk about themselves.

Hope that helps!

Melanie Diehl

Melanie & co Marketing Collective

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

Chris-S
Administrator

Flexing some of my User Experience Design muscles, I concur with @MelanieDiehl  that the most effective survey questions were those that were closed-ended. These questions give respondents a predetermined set of answer options, such as multiple-choice, rating scales, or yes/no questions. They are simple to answer and yield insightful data.

Another type of question that proved successful was Likert scale questions, which require respondents to rate their level of agreement or disagreement with a statement on a scale, usually ranging from strongly agree to strongly disagree. These types of questions are useful for measuring attitudes and opinions on a specific topic.

Additionally, incorporating demographic questions into a survey can provide valuable insights by allowing for data segmentation based on factors like age, gender, location, or occupation. This can help identify the preferences and needs of different user groups.

Exciting news! Announcing our latest offering, Campaign Builder. Create stunning email campaigns effortlessly and efficiently with our intuitive tool!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (66%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST
Jun 06
Maximize Your Marketing Impact with Vimeo & Constant Contact
2PM - 3PM EST
Jun 27
Boost Your Email Results with Segmentation & Personalization
2PM - 3PM EST