Only 2 Weeks Remain in the Ready, Set, Send Challenge!

Why do templated emails have different capabilities than custom emails?

CassieL32
Rookie

I used a 'feature article' for my email template and cannot figure out how to remove the padding on either side so that you cannot see the 'inner background' color. Why is there not simple, easy to find way to do this? Why can you not just stretch the 'feature article' to fit the width of the email? Does anyone have a solution for this? I have been struggling through trying to figure this out for days. I have watched webinars and read "How To" guides and still no answer....I know it is possible because it's possible with the premade email templates. 

3 REPLIES 3
Abigail_S
Administrator

@DavidFischerSolutionsForGrowth You're always great with template feedback, any suggestions? 

Abigail St Jean

Community Program Manager

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

William_A
Administrator

Hello @CassieL32 ,

I can at lest provide a bit of technical insight. The standard builder uses a block system to construct emails, using our proprietary coding that's been setup to work within the set limitations for a more simple, straightforward email building experience. Custom code is fully dependent on the code you provide for pretty much all of its elements. It's like the difference between building a house with pre-constructed walls, pipes, and wires on a plot of land VS. making your own bricks, harvesting your own lumber, and forging piping and an electric system to freehand-build a house. 

Certain pre-built templates will contain specially-coded elements from the Design team that cannot be replicated in the general builder. This can range from very specific layout block setups to graphical elements like background images/patterns.

The Feature Article layout block is specifically setup to not stretch the full width, since it's supposed to appear as a floating section in a larger newsletter, with a differently shaded background to help it stand out. Another comparison - think of textbooks that have the small pop-out areas with an image and additional context of the image. If you're wanting to have something like the Feature Article layout with its background stretched the full width, you can just do that with the Article layout, and change the background color for that row.

block types.png

For additional info and guidance on layout blocks, background coloring, and building your email in general, I'd advise referring to the following articles (also available via the Help tab in your account):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
DavidFischerSolutionsForGrowth
Community Coach

Hello @CassieL32 ,

You have a good question – and very helpful answer from William A on the technical aspect of custom templates within the “house building” structure of Constant Contact. 

We understand that perfecting your email template may require some back-and-forth, but the results are well worth the effort. Different blocks add certain features. It sounds like you may need to change the “feature article” to a different block - in order to have that section fill the width of the email. At Solutions for Growth, we’ve spent years crafting hundreds of customized and highly effective email templates, ensuring that our client’s messaging is achieved with exceptional quality. 

Can I help you with any other specific questions? Please schedule a call with me today.

David Fischer

Solutions For Growth

Schedule a call

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

Featured Article

Use Sections to Build Email Campaigns Faster and Improve Engagement Rates

Using Sections while designing your marketing email not only increases your own efficiency but helps you to deliver a more friendly, organized message. Check out some of the key benefits of using sections in email.

See Article

Featured Thread

Casual Conversations: What's your go-to playlist?

If you listen to music while you work, share your playlist below so we can be inspired and maybe find some new music!

View thread

Featured Thread

Ready, Set, Send Challenge Week 5: Reporting

Discover tips for maximizing engagement after you hit send!

Join challenge
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
OCT 24
Engage and Convert: The Email and Social Media Power Play
2PM - 3PM EST