Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put euro sign in newsletter title

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

How to put euro sign in newsletter title

How to put euro sign (or some other Unicode entities) in newsletter title (mail subject).

I am using api to create custom mails. Content format is XHTML

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Honored Contributor

Re: How to put Euro sign in newsletter title

Hello Sanjin,

Thank you for your post on our Developer Forums! Currently, our system does not allow for the inclusion of foreign language characters or some other Unicode characters in your email's subject line.  The only workaround is to encode the subject line with the appropriate character set before submitting the email via the API. In this case you would need to encode it with the UTF-8 character set to include Unicode characters.

Below I have included an example of a subject line that is encoded and also a link for more information about emails and encoding subject lines.

Example:

Original: Save €20 on your next purchase!
Encoded: =?utf-8?B?U2F2ZSDigqwyMCBvbiB5b3VyIG5leHQgcHVyY2hhc2Uh?=

Information about encoding characters in email:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_and_email

Sincerely,

Elijah G.

Tier 2 Support

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Occasional Participant

Thanks, but when I put in campaign subject I receive the same string back as subject.

For example (in outlook 2010 and Gmail):

Subject: ?utf-8?B?U2F2ZSDigqwyMCBvbiB5b3VyIG5leHQgcHVyY2hhc2Uh?=

and not

Subject: Save €20 on your next purchase!

and in the code:

EmailCampaign campaign = new EmailCampaign();
campaign.Subject = "?utf-8?B?U2F2ZSDigqwyMCBvbiB5b3VyIG5leHQgcHVyY2hhc2Uh?=";

The problem is that you for ISO encoded strings like this, you must open them with "=?", you are missing the opening = sign.  By adding in this opening = sign, you should receive the correct display behavior in Outlook, Hotmail, GMail and every other major email client.  I've tested this method with about 10 email clients covering the vast majority of commercial mail and they have all supported ISO encoding.

On a related note, we are looking at this as a future enhancement.  Unfortunately, our only officially supported languages are languages in the ISO-8859-1 character encoding set.  We are aware that this is a problem for some of our customers and I again apologize for the difficulty in working around this.  In the forseable future, we are not likely to change this.  Due to other work we're already doing, it won't be anywhere earlier than the second half of 2013 that we can look at making changes to this.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

Thanks you very much, now is working :) Even for the "From" filed also.
Well, it is not a problem for me to encode string. For html body all chars are encoded as html entities and displayed correctly also. 
Problem was that this was not indicated in the official documentation, so it took me more time to solve this.
Regards, Sanjin

Visitor

Hello, I am trying to use unicode characters in my subject line, and hav converted them to ISO 8859 however they are not working. 

=?iso-8859-1?B?JiM5ODI5OyBXaGljaCBpcyB5b3VyIGRyZWFtIHdlZGRpbmc/ICYjOTgyOTsg?=

♥ Which is your dream wedding? ♥

Mind suggesting what I might change? 

Scout 

When I run this through a decoder, it comes out as the following text for me:

♥ Which is your drea|ÛMí wedding? ♥

It looks like you are using HTML entity codes for the heart symbols instead of an actual heart character.  This will not render correctly in any email client.  You would have to use the actual heart character in Unicode or UTF-8. 

You don't need to convert your subject line to ISO-8859-1 if you are going to do ISO encoding.  I would recommend leaving it in the original UTF-8 encoding instead.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

I am trying to add a clock symbol to my email. Here is the subject

⌚ This Way to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party!

Not sure how to convert this

Honored Contributor

Hello,

In this case, the only method to include many UTF-8 printable characters like the clock in an email subject is to send the entire subject as a base-64 encoded string. In order to do this, your subject line must have the following format:

=?UTF-8?B?#BASE64_ENCODED_CONTENT#?=

So using your subject line as an example, it would appear like this:

=?UTF-8?B?#4oyaIFRoaXMgV2F5IHRvIHRoZSBNYWQgSGF0dGVyJ3MgVGVhIFBhcnR5IQ==#?=

When this is sent to an email client that supports base64 encoded subject lines, the result will appear as:

⌚ This Way to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party!

In order to accomplish the step of encoding the content to base 64, I would suggest simply looking up a free conversion tool on the web. For just doing quick conversions such as a subject line, this would likely save a lot of hassle.

If you have any questions about this, please let us know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer