Add button creates separate column?????? Help

jerryw
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

I have never added a button to my emails before, and I thought it would be easy. So I just dragged a button widget fromt the Build area and dropped it into my email. That should have been easy. But the button appeared in its own column to the left of the email.  Of course, I just wanted the button in-line, and I can't figure out how to do this simple thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

7 REPLIES 7
Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @jerryw,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! When dragging and dropping content over from the left-hand side, your mouse tells you where it is going to drop by turning into a purple line. If your mouse is a vertical purple line on the side, you know it's going to drop in its own column and drop on the side. You want your mouse to be horizontal on your email, and that means it will stay only one column and drop below or above everything else. See the picture below for more help!

Zoe_H_0-1617546616077.png

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
jerryw
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Hi Zoe, thanks for your prompt reply. That makes perfect sense, except when I drag the button onto my email, only the vertical bars show up. I have dragged it around the screen and cannot see the purple bar appear horizontally. Any further tips are welcome.

Jerry

Zoe_H
Employee

Hello @jerryw,

It sounds like all of your text may need to be separated by text blocks. Buttons can only go in between separate text blocks. If you have a large amount of text, you will want to drag and drop a separate text block for each paragraph so that you can place the button in between them. 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
jerryw
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Zoe! That's it! Thanks. All of my text is in one block. So now I have to seperate it out into separate blocks? It seems like extra work for little benefit? Is there a tutorial on how or why separating into blocks is a best practice? Thanks again. I guess I should mark it as accepting a solution, but I'm also hoping for a followup answer.

Jerry

Mary_S
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @jerryw ,
I did locate a couple tutorials you might find helpful:

Mary S.

VFC
Constant Contact Partner
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

How do I add two buttons next to each other? I tried a two column layout but it won't let me move it where I want it.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @VFC ,

It's definitely possible. If you're having trouble dragging over the button and dropping where you want it, then you may want to consider adding a multi-column layout and dragging the button to one of those.

Capture.PNG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST