How to Delete contact from a segment list?

SOLVED
Go to solution
AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Hello,

I'm trying to use "segment" to identify outdated email contacts that I want to delete.

I created a correct segment with criteria - but how can I delete those contacts?

I don't see a way to select them...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AlanB8 ,

You can further manage your segment by adding it to a list, determining which contacts may still be worth keeping (such as very recent additions based on Date Added), and then deleting all the remaining contacts and the segment list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AlanB8 ,

You can further manage your segment by adding it to a list, determining which contacts may still be worth keeping (such as very recent additions based on Date Added), and then deleting all the remaining contacts and the segment list.

William A
AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks William A, That makes sense - I will try it...

AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Now I need to know how to do a "shift select" in the list results.  example - I have 2,500 contacts in a list - I only want to delete the ones added before 2017 - like 900 of them.  Can't I select only the contacts on a display page? Or - can't I do a "shift select" of a certain range? like 100 at a time?  Do I really have to click 900 checkboxes?  (and Why is the segment calendar limited for past dates?  I cannot use it to segment out contacts prior to this month in 2017.

Thanks in advance :smileyface:

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Shift-select isn't compatible with the Contacts dashboard UI. To do what you described, I'd honestly recommend just exporting all of your contacts, using a spreadsheet program to sort out the contacts you want to get rid of, and then uploading those contacts into a new list. Once they're uploaded, you can then select-all of them in your list, Actions > Delete.

Otherwise the option would indeed be to single-select the contacts you want to get rid of, then Actions > Delete.

William A
AlanB8
Rookie
0 Votes

Thanks William _A,

That seems a little surprising - for as long as CT CT has been out there...   but I understand  I'll go the spreadsheet route...

NikK4
Rookie
0 Votes

I have a similar query - I want to mass delete least engaged contacts, and have set up a segement with criteria of not opening emails for 2 years, and added these to a new list. I want to delete this list - however as many of the contacts belong to other multiple lists I can't delete them. There are 9000 contacts so I can't remove them from other lists manually! How can I delete these contacts completely please?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @NikK4 ,

If you already have them in the list, simply follow the instruction in the post you replied to (select-all the contacts in the list > Actions > Delete).

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST