Tutorial: Insert a video into your email

SOLVED
Go to solution
MartinG4368
Rookie
0 Votes

Sometimes when I try to insert a video in my newsletter, the thumbnail renders like the colours have been inverted.

I input the video link and the thumbnail looks like it's an 80's television booting up, pixelated and such.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a reason for it and/or solution for it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @MartinG4368 ,

This can occur when there's an issue with the host site providing the thumbnail info. The best workarounds or going to be either:

• reuploading the video to the host site, then inserting that new, unique URL
  • using the alternative image link method, covered in the main article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @MartinG4368 ,

This can occur when there's an issue with the host site providing the thumbnail info. The best workarounds or going to be either:

• reuploading the video to the host site, then inserting that new, unique URL
  • using the alternative image link method, covered in the main article

William A
MartinG4368
Rookie
0 Votes

Thank you for your response.

When I upload the thumbnail to YouTube in JPG format I don't have this problem, it only occurs when I upload the image in PNG but would prefer to use PNG's for my thumbnails.

To be clear, the alternative image link method is essentially hyperlinking an image of the thumbnail to the video?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Essentially yes, the video block is just an easy way to either work with the Vimeo integration, or to stick a play button on the thumbnail of a linked video's thumbnail. If for whatever reason the separate system we use for pulling that video's link info (including thumbnail) is unable to get that info, the image link function is the default workaround to make sure your video still gets linked in a visual way.

In the past I've also used third party sites to be able to just upload an image, and have that site stick on a particular style of play button that's more in line with the visuals I'm going for. I mention this in case you're wanting to make sure the fact that the image is clickable is especially highlighted.

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 23
Community Conversations: SMS Marketing - Activate, Regulate, Communicate!
2PM - 3:00 PM EST