Updating a field

SOLVED
Go to solution
MichaelR9494
Rookie
0 Votes

There is one field in our form in which the value / content may change after an election. Right now this field needs updating in several hundred contacts, and I would think it could be done en masse. If so, I cannot find how. Please tell me I don’t have to open every contact in which this field needs updating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @MichaelR9494 ,

If you need to update a particular contact field for several contacts at a time, you can just upload a file that includes the contact field needing updating. Importing a file with different information for a selected contact field will result in it updating the contacts accordingly. If all you need is the one contact field updated for all those contacts, then all your file needs to contain is the corresponding email address and contact field info, since email addresses are what denotes a unique contact.

See also:

Formatting your contact file for upload

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @MichaelR9494 ,

If you need to update a particular contact field for several contacts at a time, you can just upload a file that includes the contact field needing updating. Importing a file with different information for a selected contact field will result in it updating the contacts accordingly. If all you need is the one contact field updated for all those contacts, then all your file needs to contain is the corresponding email address and contact field info, since email addresses are what denotes a unique contact.

See also:

Formatting your contact file for upload

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
user55558
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Hello, I am trying to clean things up using the import and cannot seem to find out how to NULL or BLANK out a field - does anyone know?

Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @user55558,

For clarification, you're at the point where you've selected a spreadsheet to import and reviewing the individual columns match with where they will go in Constant Contact, but you don't want to include every column that's on the spreadsheet? There should be an option to skip column at the top of the list when selecting a column name.

Or do you have a list of contacts with outdated information in one particular field (e.g. City) that needs to be removed completely and left empty?

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

user55558
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Nick the second use case, leave fields that currently have values in them (that might be garbage or wrong info) completely blank.

Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

I spoke with our advanced support team and they can open a ticket to help you with this. Please send an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with:

1) Account username

2) Reference to this Community post

3) The name of the field (or fields) you want cleared

4) Preferred/best contact information

Once I receive that email I can forward it to our advanced support and they will be able to assist with this procedure.

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

user55558
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Nick, thanks - I will review changes with my team tomorrow morning & send an email with the ask.

Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

Awesome. Thanks so much!

user55558
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

Nick, just wanted to say thanks again for the offer to clean up data, I was actually able to handle it myself - if you can add "clearing values via import" to your product roadmap it would be most appreciated!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 3
Getting Started with the Constant Contact Community
2PM - 2:30 PM EST