Join Us in Celebrating Small Business Week!

Defining Unique Clicks vs Total Clicks, confusing/mismatched terminology for "unique"

I'm writing to share a concern that your unique clicks reporting is misleading.

I was recently told in a chat that the reason why when looking at the reporting for a campaign the clicks listed under email performance is different than the Click through Distribution is because the first measures unique users and the second measures total clicks. That is not, however what the second column in the Click Through Distribution chart says. It says "unique clicks" and is a much higher total than the number listed under the performance.

This is a misleading to use the words "unique clicks" when you mean "total clicks".

If you Google search the definition of "unique clicks" you'll see the widely accepted definition means how many individual users clicked, and not total number of clicks.

A Constant Contact admin even replied to a question in the community forum saying "The unique clicks for all of your email's links: found at the bottom of the email's overall reporting page, this will show how many contacts clicked a specific link at least once" which is the accurate way to use the term, but is not what is actually being displayed since total clicks is being displayed.

https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Questions-Discussions/Difference-between-clicks-unique-clic...

I report back to people who pay to advertise in our enews. If I tell them they had 526 unique users click that's a lot different than if there were actually only 100 unique users who clicked five times.

I hope that you'll change this term going forward.

Thanks!
2 Comments
William_A
Administrator
Status changed to: Acknowledged

We're updating the status of this idea to more accurately reflect its current status with our engineering team, and also made slight changes to the subject line in order for it to be more easily found. We can't guarantee a commitment to deliver on this feature request, but it should indicate some awareness that we have heard your feedback and could be taken under consideration for a future release.

AmberH52
Rookie

Thank you!

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More