How do you send out mass emails in outlook?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ChristianN559
Marketing Expert

I want to send out mass emails in outlook. What's the best way to do that?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Abigail_S
Administrator

Sending out mass emails in Outlook can be super cumbersome, so I personally like to use Constant Contact since it can send out emails directly to my contact list! Also, check out our Success Hub for sending emails. 

But in case you're still in a bind, here's how you can send bulk emails through Outlook:

1. The first step to how to send mass emails in Outlook is to open Microsoft Word and load a new document. This is where you’ll compose your email. Once you’ve typed your message, you’ll need to use Word’s Mail Merge from Outlook feature to transform your document into an email.  

2. Next, you’ll navigate to the Outlook Mail Merge option. You’ll find this at the top of the Word window, nested under the “Mailings” tab. Clicking on the “Mailings” tab will unfurl a submenu with a list of further options—you’re looking for the button that says “Start Mail Merge.” 

3. When you click on “Start Mail Merge,” you’ll see a drop-down menu that has a few options, including “Letters,” “E-Mail Messages,” “Envelopes,” “Labels,” and “Directory.” When it comes to how to send mass emails in Outlook, the option you need to select is “E-Mail Messages.”

4. Once you’ve selected “E-Mail Messages,” you’ll be able to input the addresses of the recipients of your mass email in Outlook. You have a few options for how to input your recipients: 

• Create a new list: You should select this option if you don’t already have a saved list of contacts. It’ll allow you to add recipients using the pop-up box manually. You can choose from a variety of fields to include, such as job title, first and last name, and the name of the company, among others. Once you’ve selected, Word will prompt you to save your contact list to your computer.
  • Choose an existing list: If you already have a saved contact list, choose this option. Clicking “Choose an existing list” will open a box to locate the list on your computer and upload it into Mail Merge from Excel. To use this function, your contact list will need to be saved as a .CSV file, a type of plain text file you can create by making an Excel spreadsheet of your contacts’ information. 
  • Choose from Outlook contacts: You can select this option if your intended recipients are already saved in your Outlook contacts. Mail Merge will automatically upload the necessary information. 
These are the options nested under the “Mailings” tab in MS Word. Source: Mircosoft Word

Now you’ve written your email message and loaded your list of recipients. The next step is to send the email. To do that, you need to find the button labeled “Send E-Mail Message.” To get there, you need to lick on “Finish & Merge,” which is located to the far right of the window. When you click it, a drop-down menu will appear and you’ll see “Send E-Mail Message.” 

Clicking “Send E-Mail Message” will open another dialogue box. This box will ask you to indicate where you want to send the email. It will also provide a space for you to include a subject line and to indicate whether you want to send the email in HTML or plain text format. Once you’ve filled in the “To” and “Subject Line” fields and chosen a format, all that’s left is to click “OK” to officially send the email. 

View solution in original post

Chris-S
Administrator
0 Votes

I believe Outlook has a Mail Merge feature that allows you to send personalized emails to multiple recipients. I've used it in the past but it involved a couple of steps I have forgotten by now.

Through Constant Contact there are a few resources you can use:

Best Practices to Captivate Your Audience with Email Marketing 

Which Template Should You Choose? 

Upload Images and Documents 

Schedule Your First Email 

Exciting news! Announcing our latest offering, Campaign Builder. Create stunning email campaigns effortlessly and efficiently with our intuitive tool!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Abigail_S
Administrator

Sending out mass emails in Outlook can be super cumbersome, so I personally like to use Constant Contact since it can send out emails directly to my contact list! Also, check out our Success Hub for sending emails. 

But in case you're still in a bind, here's how you can send bulk emails through Outlook:

1. The first step to how to send mass emails in Outlook is to open Microsoft Word and load a new document. This is where you’ll compose your email. Once you’ve typed your message, you’ll need to use Word’s Mail Merge from Outlook feature to transform your document into an email.  

2. Next, you’ll navigate to the Outlook Mail Merge option. You’ll find this at the top of the Word window, nested under the “Mailings” tab. Clicking on the “Mailings” tab will unfurl a submenu with a list of further options—you’re looking for the button that says “Start Mail Merge.” 

3. When you click on “Start Mail Merge,” you’ll see a drop-down menu that has a few options, including “Letters,” “E-Mail Messages,” “Envelopes,” “Labels,” and “Directory.” When it comes to how to send mass emails in Outlook, the option you need to select is “E-Mail Messages.”

4. Once you’ve selected “E-Mail Messages,” you’ll be able to input the addresses of the recipients of your mass email in Outlook. You have a few options for how to input your recipients: 

• Create a new list: You should select this option if you don’t already have a saved list of contacts. It’ll allow you to add recipients using the pop-up box manually. You can choose from a variety of fields to include, such as job title, first and last name, and the name of the company, among others. Once you’ve selected, Word will prompt you to save your contact list to your computer.
  • Choose an existing list: If you already have a saved contact list, choose this option. Clicking “Choose an existing list” will open a box to locate the list on your computer and upload it into Mail Merge from Excel. To use this function, your contact list will need to be saved as a .CSV file, a type of plain text file you can create by making an Excel spreadsheet of your contacts’ information. 
  • Choose from Outlook contacts: You can select this option if your intended recipients are already saved in your Outlook contacts. Mail Merge will automatically upload the necessary information. 
These are the options nested under the “Mailings” tab in MS Word. Source: Mircosoft Word

Now you’ve written your email message and loaded your list of recipients. The next step is to send the email. To do that, you need to find the button labeled “Send E-Mail Message.” To get there, you need to lick on “Finish & Merge,” which is located to the far right of the window. When you click it, a drop-down menu will appear and you’ll see “Send E-Mail Message.” 

Clicking “Send E-Mail Message” will open another dialogue box. This box will ask you to indicate where you want to send the email. It will also provide a space for you to include a subject line and to indicate whether you want to send the email in HTML or plain text format. Once you’ve filled in the “To” and “Subject Line” fields and chosen a format, all that’s left is to click “OK” to officially send the email. 

Chris-S
Administrator
0 Votes

I believe Outlook has a Mail Merge feature that allows you to send personalized emails to multiple recipients. I've used it in the past but it involved a couple of steps I have forgotten by now.

Through Constant Contact there are a few resources you can use:

Best Practices to Captivate Your Audience with Email Marketing 

Which Template Should You Choose? 

Upload Images and Documents 

Schedule Your First Email 

Exciting news! Announcing our latest offering, Campaign Builder. Create stunning email campaigns effortlessly and efficiently with our intuitive tool!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (66%)

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST