The Preheader doesn't work as expected

user702608
Rookie
0 Votes

I added the Preheader for a campaign and sent a test email to a Gmail account. I looked at it in the Chrome browser. In the list of emails, it shows the subject, then the preheader, and the rest of the email contents. I assume it should not display the preheader and email contents, it should just show the preheader. Is there a way to fix it?

5 REPLIES 5
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @user702608 ,

That's not how email programs work for their inbox previews for email content. They'll always try to show subject lines, then preheaders if you've included one, then any remaining space will show whatever text would first be in the email. This remaining text can include image alt text, the View as Webpage links we recommend including in emails, the actual text of the email, etc. depending on how you've setup your email.

The only "fix" would be to just have longer subject lines and preheaders, which isn't really a best practice. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
user702608
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi William,

Thanks for your reply.

I was using another email marketing platform and it can show just the Subject and Preheader on the list of emails.

As I said before it's the Gmail account and I checked it on the Edge and Chrome browsers.

Here is the screenshot of it.

Email.png

Do you have any idea about it?

Thanks

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

You may want to check your Gmail settings then or reach out to their support for more insight, as this is not something any email programs I've used in the past do, regardless of the email's sending source.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
rcppubs23
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

I once saw a suggestion that this problem could be avoided by adding a string of spaces at the end of your preheader, but that probably also is not a best practice. It didn't work for me when I tried it but maybe there is some variation on that idea that would help. For my part, I just gave up on it, since people are probably used to seeing stuff like this in their inbox anyway.

user702608
Rookie
0 Votes

I added some spaces after the preheader input field but still doesn't work and as you said, it's not a good practice.

After working with about 10 email marketing platforms, just one of them can handle the Preheader on the email list as expected.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 23
Community Conversations: SMS Marketing - Activate, Regulate, Communicate!
2PM - 3:00 PM EST