Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Make a Background Image Non-Repeating

Top Answer
Jared_M
CTCT Employee

Hi Everyone,

I want to first apologize for the issues this has been causing everyone.  I am the Product Manager of our 3rd Generation Editor and value all feedback given from our customers.  I would like to add some color as to why some functionality might seem limited or not meet everyone's exact needs.

One of our main goals that we strive for is trying to make our emails display correctly in all email clients which introduces some challenges.  Each email client (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo etc) reads and renders emails differently. For example many versions of Outlook completely strip all background images . In order to display background images in Outlook we include a snippet of VML code in the email which Outlook *does* render. The only downside to this technique is that the VML code only supports tiling. Outlook ranks third in total overall opens so we want to ensure your background images display there and feel this is more important than opening up other background options that wouldn’t work in Outlook.

Constant Contact also has some restrictions on images that are allowed to be imported into MyLibrary.  Images cannot exceed 800 pixels in width. If a customer chose to do anything other than tile the image it could be either distorted (due to it stretching to fit the email display window) or would be so small that it would be hidden by the email content area.

We try to make your editing experience ideal but do understand we can always improve.  We are always on the lookout for new techniques for background images that all email clients support. Our goal is to make sure your emails looks great in each email client and you have the functionality and features to make them unique to your business and brand.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions but I hope at least this helps with an explanation why some of our features might not seem “complete”.

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: How to Make a Background Image Non-Repeating

Hi @WendyP208

Thanks for providing your feedback. I have tracked your response as well for this feature request. 

Thanks!

Alex S.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Thank you for responding. It is time for coding to resolve the issue.  Thanks again.

Tags (1)

Hello,

I am fairly new to using Constant Contact and would like to use a "non-repeating" background for my email.  I see this has been an on going issue.  Please tell me there is a solution...

I have created landing pages, emails, etc. using other products and have been able to have a "non-repeating" background.

I don't care about the image looking distorted or blurred with some of the emails.

Can this be done?

CTCT Employee

Hey there @JayC02 

I can definitely understand why you would like to have a non-repeating background image in your email. Although this is not a feature we provide currently, I wanted to let you know why we do not allow single image backgrounds.

Depending on the length of your newsletter, a single background image could stretch or become very distorted when it arrives in your contact's inbox. To avoid this, we allow tiled background images to ensure that the image stays the same throughout the entire length of the email. Because of this we suggest you upload an image that will tie seamlessly with itself. We do have a few options available in the editor that you can use, which you can find information on within this article. There are also many third party sites that provide seamless tiled backgrounds. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns!

Brigitte P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

With all due respect, please stop sending these robotic / scripted replies to your customers, that are in no way helpful. Constant Contact ALREADY offers non-repeating backgrounds on the design tab (the limited ones you offer), so clearly that means it CAN be done and that you DO know how to make it happen. And yet, you have all of these customers complaining about this problem and you have done nothing to resolve it. You just keep sending out these robot replies to all of us. Not cool. 

All Star

And by the way, here's a simple question for you -- if length of the email will "distort" (as you claim) an image, then please tell me why nothing gets "distorted" in my very long emails when I use one of the non-repeating images you offer in the design tab? 

Hi @MariaS05 

Thank you for sharing this feedback here with us in our Community. With that said, you are correct there are some templates with non-repeating backgrounds. However, the templates you mentioned are created by our Template team using a different program than our third-generation editor and these are created using coding that is not accessible to our customers. If there is ever an update to this request, we'll be happy to respond in the Community so you and other users in this thread can be notified.

Frankie.P

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

Thank you for that info and reply. I love Constant Contact, but this one issue is just super frustrating that's all. Thank you again. 

Any updates on this yet, CC???

All Star

CC has chosen to ignore all of us when it comes to this issue. And when they aren't ignoring us, they send us robotic replies about how "thankful" they are for our feedback and how they are "working on this" and yadda ya. It's been well over a year and they have done nothing to resolve this problem. There are other email marketing companies out there and the lack of ACTION on the part of CC is absolutely unacceptable.