Master email marketing fundamentals and transform your business. Join the Ready, Set, Send Challenge!

Google Spam Policy Changes

JenniferT088
Rookie
0 Votes

Google recently announced changes to its Spam Policy that will effectively eliminate email open tracking. According to BTB Venture Group, Gmail will now flag emails that have pixels that track whether the recipient opens the email, mark them as “suspicious or spam” and move them into a spam folder. What is Constant Contact doing so that our emails aren't getting flagged as spam or suspicious? Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Tara_N
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @JenniferT088 ,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  I work in our email deliverability group here at Constant Contact, and keep track of industry changes and updates so I can make sure our customers are setup for success. 

I did find the article posted by BTB Venture Group on LinkedIn, and would like to assure you that most of the content there came from a (yet to be substantiated) claim started on LinkedIn sometime in August.  I can assure that I track our open rates every day, and while there are definitely instances where different receiving domains are pre-fetching the images which sometimes makes this data less useful, there is no evidence to support that simply having an open pixel is going to get you placed in the spam folder at Gmail.  If a sender is having issues with the spam folder or getting “this message looks suspicious” banners in Gmail, it is most likely due to domain reputation issues and not simply because they have an open pixel in their message. 

Industry expert Al Iverson over at Spam Resource posted specifically about this around the time that claim got started on LinkedIn. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
SEP 30
How to Segment Your Email List in Constant Contact
11AM - 12PM EST