Master email marketing fundamentals and transform your business. Join the Ready, Set, Send Challenge!

Issue with link goes to error page

RikaM42
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi I am sending an email with a link to a YouTube live link. The test sends and the link works. Once the email is sent, the link doesn’t work. It goes to an error page

6 REPLIES 6
Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @RikaM42. I reviewed your most recent emails and wasn't able to replicate the experience on my end. Is it still showing that way on your end?

We've seen this happen when the video is private or unlisted. Once it is made public, the link to the video will work properly.

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
NicolaM87
Rookie
0 Votes

Hello. I hope it's OK to chime in here. I just experienced this same issue with an email and I thought it could be the link to an unlisted YouTube video. The video has now been made public but there's no change, it still insn't clickable. The email is an HTML file and, again, worked fine in CC and in emailed previews. Instead of any error upon clicking the video, the video doesn't even show as clickable at all once it's sent out to subscribers. Any suggestions as to why the video doesn't even show as clickable in sent emails, but works fine in previews? - Thank you.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @NicolaM87 ,

Can you elaborate any further? When I test sent your latest email, the video had the play button, could be clicked, and loaded as expected. 

Are other contacts saying they can't click the video, or are you having trouble clicking the video block in the "Your email has been sent" confirmation version that was sent to your account's main address? Is there a specific email program this seems to occur in, or is it occurring in all programs and apps?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
NicolaM87
Rookie
0 Votes

Hi, William. Thanks for replying. I have three test emails in there with the video, so it's likely you checked the standard "email" version and not one of the "custom code email" versions, which have the problem. If you're able to check the actual original "custom code email" titled "Ad Partner - St. Paul Theological Seminary Sept. 2024" that would be helpful. Again, it previews fine (live preview and emailed previews). However, once it actually goes out to subscribers, subscribers aren't able to click the video (and it doesn't show as clickable). Are you able to email it to yourself so you can receive it as if you were a subscriber (not a test/preview email)? - Thank you.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @NicolaM87 ,

Thanks for the follow-up, I wouldn't be able to do that without adding myself as a contact and that goes against our account security, billing, and Community & Social Care support protocols since I can't get live permission confirmations from you.

If it's only affecting the live sendouts and custom code emails specifically, it'd be best to call general support and get transferred to the Tier 2 custom code support team for further troubleshooting. It's possible there's something missing in the HRML that might be affecting how the YouTube URL presents in the live sendouts (which include click tracking).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
NicolaM87
Rookie
0 Votes

OK, thank you.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here

73% of SMBs express doubt that their marketing strategy is effective. Does this sound familiar? Read our Small Business Now Report to learn how you can tweak your strategy to see better results.

Go read our article
Upcoming Webinars
SEP 30
How to Segment Your Email List in Constant Contact
11AM - 12PM EST