Question of the Week: Where are you sharing text-to-join that's increased your sign-ups?

Elizabeth_K
Employee

Having a sign-up form on your website is a given, but what about offline? Text-to-join is an underrated little powerhouse of a sign-up tool! The majority of people who aren’t online are still walking around with a smartphone in their pocket and can get online in seconds when they want or need to. You can grow your list and save yourself from the manual data entry of a paper list, just by displaying text-to-join instructions somewhere that sees lots of foot traffic. Store windows, next to a register, on those little placards on restaurant tables, even the back of the restroom door are a few places I’ve seen them. I once even saw a chalk-art rendering of a QR code on a sidewalk, and was curious enough to see if it would work, which it did!

So how about you? Where have you displayed your text-to-join instructions where you’re seeing an increase in sign-ups?

If you haven’t tried using text-to-join, check out this board!

6 REPLIES 6
Chris-S
Administrator

Lately, instead of the usual business name and phone number stickers on cars, I've been seeing QR codes. Obviously, I don't take out my phone and scan them while driving, 🙄 but I do on occasion when at town fairs or events. I've signed up for a few lists this way.

@DavidFischerSolutionsForGrowth@MelanieDiehl@ACTIVATE do you have any expert tips you can share? We would love to hear it.

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

Template Feedback & Inspiration

Elizabeth_K
Employee

I feel like this is an amazing way to promote your business just by being parked at the grocery store! Lol!

Nick_S
Administrator

I like the idea of the chalk art QR Code. That must take some serious skill!

For some reason I'm thinking QR codes on DVD inserts for digital codes or when you want to login to a streaming site on your TV (I'll assume most of our customers aren't global streaming platforms). But it does make me think, if you're at a convention or if you use a brochure or something as part of your product/service/cause initiative, you could include a QR code in that.

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

DavidFischerSolutionsForGrowth
Community Coach

QR codes can be a very effective tool when used in the right place.

• A QR code on a sign or flyer is helpful because it provides instant access to additional information about your brand, such as a product, service or event.
  • QR codes can be engaging, giving your audience an interactive experience which captures attention and encourages further interaction with your brand.
  • Printed marketing materials often have limited space for conveying information. QR codes provide a space-efficient solution by condensing content into a small, scannable code, allowing you to include more information without cluttering the design.
  • QR codes can be tracked and analyzed to gather insights into consumer behavior, such as scan rates, geographic location, and time of scan. This data can help assess the effectiveness of the print campaign and allow you to refine the strategy for better results.

It’s important, however, to use the QR code where it makes sense:

• Know your audience. If your target audience isn’t familiar with QR codes, the code may not yield significant results. Consider your audience’s demographics and technological habits.
  • Think about where your audience will encounter the QR code. If they're unlikely to have access to a cellphone at that moment, such as the example above, when viewing a car sticker, or a billboard, or email, it might not be the best choice. We've had clients propose these ideas, but we typically advise against them. If someone's viewing the email on a mobile device, they can't scan the code, but they can effortlessly click on a link or button.
  • If using a QR code at an event, make sure there is easy and strong access to internet connectivity. If the code can’t be accessed, not only is it a frustrating experience for your audience, it doesn’t look good for your brand.

If you do plan to use a QR code, make sure it is well designed and placed prominently.

• Using QR codes excessively or in inappropriate contexts can dilute their impact and annoy your audience.
  • Avoid cluttering marketing materials with too many QR codes. Ensure that each code serves a clear purpose and adds value to the user experience. Make sure the codes provide valuable information to the user and that the information is a positive reflection of your brand.
  • Use a reliable QR code generator. We use bit.ly as a QR code generator.
  • Check that the QR code is easily scannable by making it large enough and ensuring sufficient contrast between the code and the background. For optimal readability, use a dark QR code on a light background or a light QR code on a dark background.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any questions about this topic.

David Fischer

Solutions for Growth

Schedule a call - https://bit.ly/ScheduleDavidCall

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

ACTIVATE
Community Coach

My favorite text-to-join example is a nonprofit concert I heard about. The nonprofit planned and executed a great event featuring music, drinks and a band. They had about 300 in the audience singing and dancing (and enjoying beverages...) so by the end they were really in a great mood. From the stage they thanked everyone and asked everyone to please take out their phones and text-to-join the list to stay in touch, continue to support the great cause, and receive an incentive. This was the perfect setting for text-to-join and they got loads of subscribers all at once!

Aaron Wesley Means

ACTIVATE Business Solutions

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

Elizabeth_K
Employee

That's a great example! Right when everyone is at their most engaged, they're reminded why they're there.

Thanks for sharing :smileyface:

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Polls
How confident are you about the effectiveness of your current marketing strategy?

Top Choice: Not confident at all (80%)

Upcoming Webinars
Jun 05
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST