cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Build Your Email List with Social Media and Constant Contact

Authorized Local Expert

As a social media trainer, I can't stress enough the importance of integrating social media with email marketing.

One of the questions I always seem to get is, ‘How can social media help me build my contact list?’ My answer is simply this, provide customers and prospects a way to opt-in to your email list on every one of your social media platforms. No matter where you are online, customers should - very easily - be able to join your mailing list.

As a small business owner, when you are marketing your business online, one of the things you should focus on is building your email list. There are a number of ways that I could show you how to build your email list both offline and online, but here are just a few ways you can do this using two tools, that I personally could not do without. The first is Constant Contact's email marketing, and the second is social media - Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

So, how do you begin?

You have people coming to your Facebook page and that is great, but a good way to get those people who have liked your Facebook page to join your mailing list is to add a join my mailing list tab on your Facebook page. You will find instructions for doing this in this article, "How do I add the Facebook Join My Mailing List App to my Facebook fan or business page?"

Just look at the image below to get an idea of what it could look like.  In the beginning you will see Constant Contact's default 'Join My Mailing List' image, but you can customize it to match your brand if you'd like.

Now, let's take a look at how you can build your email list with Twitter.

Twitter gives you 160 characters in the bio section, so why not use twenty or so of those characters to add your 'Join My Mailing List' link for people to join your email list? See how it looks on my Twitter profile in the image below?

When anyone clicks on this link, they are directed to my Constant Contact Join My Mailing List page.  This is how it looks:

Here are some quick instructions on how to update your Twitter bio:

1. Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner.
  2. Click on 'Settings' in the drop down menu.
  3. Click on 'Profile' on the left.
  4. Scroll down to 'Bio' in the center of the page. Then just type in your new or revised bio information.
  5. Click 'Save Changes' at the bottom of the page.

It's just that simple!

Last, but not least we come to one of my very favorite social media platforms, LinkedIn. LinkedIn has an all too often neglected website section where small businesses and other professionals can add links to their company website, blog, articles, or even their other social media profiles. This too is very easy to do.

To add your join my mailing list link to your LinkedIn profile, you'll need to copy the Join My Mailing List URL from your Constant Contact account and follow the instructions below to add it to your LinkedIn contact info.

1. Login to your LinkedIn account.
  2. Move your mouse over 'Profile' on the navigation bar, and click on 'Edit Profile'.
  3. Click on 'Edit Contact Info,' which is located just below your profile picture and header. Depending on whether you have the new profile or the old profile, it will either be on the left or the right. Since I have the new profile, mine is on the right.
  4. Click on the pencil icon just to the right of the word 'Websites' in the 'Edit Contact Info' section.
  5. You will see that there is an option to add at least three links. You will also see the word 'Choose...' and a drop down arrow. You can either just paste the link in the box to the right of 'Choose...' or you can click on the drop down arrow and choose 'Other:' (this is what I recommend). When you choose 'Other:' you will then see two boxes to the right. This allows you to name your links. As you can see in the image below, I have named my link 'Join My Mailing List'. Then paste your link in the second box.
  6. Click the 'Save' button and you're done!

As you can see, in just a few minutes, you can add links for people to sign up for your email list. This is a great start to your integrating your social media with your email marketing. Yes, I said, "a great start" because there is still so much more that you can do to build your email list with Constant Contact.

How about you? What are you doing to build your email list? Please share how you are building your email list by integrating social media with Constant Contact.

Romona_Foster

Romona Foster is a social media trainer and consultant. She trains groups and individuals on how to use LinkedIn, how to market on Facebook, all about Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Online Marketing, and Personal Branding. She was listed as one of the “best in tech” at DC Web Women’s Code(Her) Conference, and was a guest content strategy speaker for the Code(Her) Conference. Romona has also served as a small business coach at Eleanor Holmes Norton’s Small Business Fair, and has spoken to hundreds of small business owners and nonprofits at other venues. She has conducted workshops for several organizations including “How to Manage Social Media: Dedicating 60 Minutes Per Day” for The Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce & Arlington BizLaunch, “How to Market Your Events for Maximum Exposure & Profit” for the National Association of Real Estate Brokers, “Google Partners Connect” for Google, “Leveraging the Power of LinkedIn: Personal Branding for Sales Professionals” for the National Sales Network DC-Baltimore chapter, “Grow Your Business with Email + Social Media” for the DC Chamber of Commerce, “Social Media Marketing Made Simple” at the Microsoft Store, and "Discover the Power of Twitter Tweet-A-Thon Style" for Social Media Week, Washington, DC. She has been featured on WEAA 88.9 FM’s Briefcase Workshop Radio program and has recorded five radio promos on Clear Channel Media + Entertainment’s WASH-FM (97.1) for Constant Contact. Romona is a Constant Contact Authorized Local Expert, certified Social Media Marketing Presenter, Email Marketing Trainer, and an accredited Constant Contact Solution Provider. She is also a two-time recipient of the Constant Contact ALL STAR Award (2012 & 2013).

1 Comment

thanks romona_foster