cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no A/B split testing?

Re: Why is there no A/B split testing?

Dear Constant Contact Community Managers,

'Multi-variate testing too complex for your target customer...'

A: That's a fair answer, but it was also given just over 2 years ago, with no updates or new articles since

B: Please consider that for many of your target audience, whether the functionality would be confusing or not (I promise I will rise to whatever nosebleed-enducing quantum mechanics you provide), we're still left with assignments, in the form of employee goals, or outright requirements of our jobs, that leave us A/B testing manually. If it's not a functionality set you can offer in your software, this is a content gap you can fill with your great technical writing, and we'll use your advice (I promise!).

We're definitely going to conduct A/B testing, but, for instance, because there is nothing in your KnowledgeBase beyond the "it's on our roadmap" answer (I used to work in software, I've given this response countless times), there's no thought leadership on how to do it without built-in functionality.

I found such thought leadership on rival platforms, and am left taking their advice (for manual A/B testing) and implementing it on your platform. I use your benchmarks in my reporting; I use your guidance on best time of day to send in market planning; I use as much of your functionality as I can pack into each email campaign; but I'm left using your competitors' thought leadership to execute my A/B Testing.

Please consider writing articles about:

• what constitutes valid A/B testing principles (and what gets called "A/B Testing" but isn't)
  • best practices for ensuring quantifiable results
  • how to measure A/B test results (e.g., using the Average function in Excel or Google Sheets to concatenate results from disparate campaigns)

You provide a great product--one that would be well-bolstered by multi-variate testing--and moreover you provide great thought leadership.

Please consider adding A/B Testing principles to your table of contents.

Thank you!

Tags (2)

Hi @MaureenG8

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your feedback on our A/B  subject line testing tool.  I did want to first mention this tool is no longer in beta and is currently available on every 3GE template.

I also can definitely understand how helpful it would be to test other variables. I apologize, this is not a feature we currently provide. This is however a great feature request we have tracked in your account and submitted to our engineers! In the meantime here are some of our articles that goes over A/B testing in our system:

What is A/B Testing? Why It Matters & How to Get Started

Stage an Epic Battle with A/B Testing

Manual Subject Line A/B Testing and List Size

I hope these articles help!

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Contributor

Just saw they are (finally) beta testing a/b split testing for subject lines. YAY!

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a way to do testing on an email created by copying an old one. You have to create a new one by picking a template. I create the majority of my emails by copying my last one so I don't have to start fresh each time as much of the info stay the same.

Hello @naturalresources. We're very excited about this beta test for A/B subject line testing too! At this time, there is not a way to copy an existing campaign into the A/B subject line test and it must be manually re-created when picking a type of campaign to send out. We are collecting feedback from our customers during this beta test and I will certainly submit yours over to the appropriate team. Thanks so much!

Caitlin M.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Visitor

I too have been a CC customer for longer than I can remember.  10-15 years?

Anyway, I would also like to see A/B testing for mailing time.  For example, instead of making us split our own mailing lists and mailing to each portion at different times, why not allow us to select one list but give us the option to schedule the campaign for 2 (or more) delivery times in the future?  That would not be hard to implement at all.    Or, at least give us a tool to split a list in X number of equal sized portions.   

Oh I wish upon a star. 

Hi @NoelD6

Thank you for this feedback on our A/B subject line tester emails! I apologize they do not off the ability to test the times of when they will be sent out. These email templates are still currently in our Beta testing and focused solely on subject lines. We are however always looking for ways to improve our user's experience in our system and always welcome feature requests like your own. In fact, I have tracked this request in your account and passed this feedback on to the appropriate teams. In the meantime, we do offer a tool to split your contacts into equal sized portions.

2018-01-12_15-41-26.png

When scheduling your email in our A/B subject line templates, the percentage of contacts for each subject line can be set to 50%. Doing this allows you to have equal sized portions.

Frankie.P