How often should I send emails?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ChristianN559
Brand Visionary
At what point do I start annoying potential customers with my emails. In other words, what is the right cadence for sending emails. Are there any guidelines?
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Chris-S
Administrator

There are likely many diverse answers to this depending on the industry, type of business, and many other criteria.

I recently listened to the Be a Marketer podcast; How many follow-up emails should occur?

In the podcast it was mentioned ,Multiple follow-ups after initial email outreach are crucial as one email is often insufficient due to recipients' busy lives. Additionally, schedule at least three email touches to increase chances of a response

Hope this is a good start!

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

Template Feedback & Inspiration

View solution in original post

Elizabeth_K
Employee

Like all the best answers, it depends! There are lots of factors to consider, like how much time you’re able to spend on your email campaigns, the nature of your organization, and how engaged your contacts are.

You can set the groundwork on your sign-up form by telling your new contacts how frequently you plan on sending so they’re aware from the start. Then you can use our segmentation tools to filter your contacts by their engagement level - you can experiment with sending more frequently or less frequently to see if you can boost it. It’s totally ok to have different frequencies for different groups of contacts!

If you’re absolutely not sure, try asking your contacts. Send a poll and then add your contacts to different lists based on their responses.

DavidFischerSolutionsForGrowth
Community Coach

We advise clients to send an email generally about 1-3 times a month but at least once a month to stay on top of customers’ minds. Constant Contact has a great feature that allows you to resend to non-openers. With this feature, you can send the same email several days later to those who didn’t see it the first time or meant to open it at a later date and then forgot to go back. The advantage of this feature is that you can schedule the resend to non-openers at a different time of day and week. For example, if you send your initial email mid-week, in the morning, you can send the resend to non-openers later in the week in the late afternoon. We use this feature for some clients and find it helpful, especially if we have a client that is open 24/7. It allows us to send the email during the week and a resend on a weekend morning. Open rates always increase when we use this feature. You can find it when you schedule the email. Here is a screenshot of the feature. Reach out if you have any questions. I’m always happy to help!

Snag_192d11.png

David Fischer

Solutions for Growth

Schedule a call - https://bit.ly/ScheduleDavidCall

Help others find this post by giving it kudos.

Note: I am not a Constant Contact employee.

4 REPLIES 4
Chris-S
Administrator

There are likely many diverse answers to this depending on the industry, type of business, and many other criteria.

I recently listened to the Be a Marketer podcast; How many follow-up emails should occur?

In the podcast it was mentioned ,Multiple follow-ups after initial email outreach are crucial as one email is often insufficient due to recipients' busy lives. Additionally, schedule at least three email touches to increase chances of a response

Hope this is a good start!

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

Template Feedback & Inspiration

Elizabeth_K
Employee

Like all the best answers, it depends! There are lots of factors to consider, like how much time you’re able to spend on your email campaigns, the nature of your organization, and how engaged your contacts are.

You can set the groundwork on your sign-up form by telling your new contacts how frequently you plan on sending so they’re aware from the start. Then you can use our segmentation tools to filter your contacts by their engagement level - you can experiment with sending more frequently or less frequently to see if you can boost it. It’s totally ok to have different frequencies for different groups of contacts!

If you’re absolutely not sure, try asking your contacts. Send a poll and then add your contacts to different lists based on their responses.

DavidFischerSolutionsForGrowth
Community Coach

We advise clients to send an email generally about 1-3 times a month but at least once a month to stay on top of customers’ minds. Constant Contact has a great feature that allows you to resend to non-openers. With this feature, you can send the same email several days later to those who didn’t see it the first time or meant to open it at a later date and then forgot to go back. The advantage of this feature is that you can schedule the resend to non-openers at a different time of day and week. For example, if you send your initial email mid-week, in the morning, you can send the resend to non-openers later in the week in the late afternoon. We use this feature for some clients and find it helpful, especially if we have a client that is open 24/7. It allows us to send the email during the week and a resend on a weekend morning. Open rates always increase when we use this feature. You can find it when you schedule the email. Here is a screenshot of the feature. Reach out if you have any questions. I’m always happy to help!

Snag_192d11.png

David Fischer

Solutions for Growth

Schedule a call - https://bit.ly/ScheduleDavidCall

MelanieDiehl
Community Coach

Hi ChristianN559!

I get this question all the time and the answer really isn't a hard and fast rule. In all honesty, it will vary based on many factors. 

1. What is the expectation you set with your subscribers in the first place?

2. How often can you send them information that's of value to them? (aka high quality)

3. What's your bandwidth for consistency?

4. What are your goals?

In essence, consider these ideas:

For a welcome series, probably 3-5 emails over a 7-10 day time period

For regular nurturing emails, 2-3 times/month (with a minimum of once/month!)

Here's some examples:

Local deli/cafe can send daily specials

Financial planner can send monthly updates

The rest of us are somewhere in the middle.

Bottom line: Quality and Consistency for the win!

Melanie Diehl

Melanie & co Marketing Collective

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST