Looking for the latest product updates? What's new for Spring 2024 is now available!

Prevent automatic image sizing on mobile view

Please undo the automatic resizing/expanding of images in the mobile version. It was working fine before. We prefer to have control over whether the image stretches to the width of the page or not. Some images look terrible expanded, taking up 2/3 of the screen and rendering the text less significant.

Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator

We're updating the status of this idea to more accurately reflect its current status with our engineering team and also made slight changes to the subject line in order for it to be more easily found. We do not have any updates to share surrounding any changes to how images display on mobile devices but you can resize your larger images to appear smaller:

To resize an image:

• Open the image editor
  • Select the Transform tool on the upper left
  • Check the checkbox marked Lock Resolution, on the lower left
  • Set the width to a smaller number, such as 200
  • Hit the Tab key on the keyboard. The Height number will change in response, to resize the image while keeping the original dimensions

There is also a Knowledge Base article that includes a visual walkthrough on resizing images for mobile devices.

22 Comments
Paul_T
Employee
Status changed to: Voting Open

KathyG22
Rookie

Is there any way that my design elements could maintain the proportions among the elements in the desktop and mobile views? I compose my emails using PNG files that I've designed outside of CC. When I load them in and size them to look like I want in the desktop view, they don't maintain those same proportions in the mobile view. Likewise, if I size them to look right in the mobile view, they are not pleasing in the desktop view. 

I really like using CC and am working to learn how to best use it to market my Etsy shops. 

This morning I used your chat feature to chat with one of your reps. I wanted to see why my custom date fields did not show up as options in the advanced search drop down menu. They said that there wasn't room for them to show up but my custom text fields did show up as options. So, that's something else I would like to see addressed.

Again, I really appreciate your service and enjoy using it.

Kathy

Candace_M
Employee

@KathyG22,

What format are you trying to accomplish? Images are set to stack on mobile and will size themselves to fit the width of the mobile device. Are you trying to make it so your images are just smaller or are you looking to have them appear side by side on a mobile device?

KarynP0
Campaign Collaborator

UPDATE to my original comment:

I just figured this out; was having same issue. Use CC photo editor and resize to 150w (be sure you lock resolution first). When I viewed the image in mobile view after doing this, it was smaller with a nice amount of white space on either side.

clipboard_image_0.png

Original comment:

Totally agree! For example, I have a getting to know us section with a headshot next to the text about the person. Looks great in desktop view; then in mobile view the person's head is ginormous. Looks bad--would like to have the headshot and/or other images not resize to fit the moble screen.

Frankie_P

Hi @KarynP0 thank you for sharing this update! We hope it is helpful for others as well. Another workaround we suggest resizing images to be smaller outside of Constant Contact and upload this more manageable size into your Library. We have seen cases where images that are 150-200 px wide tend to display best on mobile devices.

TommyT80
Rookie

In the old days, I would choose to use your non-mobile friendly templates, because the mobile ones look awful on most email platforms, especially outlook. This is no longer an option in your program.

Images are resized to look good on mobile, including embedded pdfs that were created to BE the message. They look more like thumbnails on the email. Even the logo is small. It would look better justified across the screen.

I know non-mobile-friendly may not look as good on mobile, but you can at least see the intent of the layout. This is completely lost on the computer screen. Our last email was opened 68% on computer - we don't do marketing, folks read our emails when they are at work, for work.

Yesterday I needed to send an email with my embedded PDF. It was an important document, and I needed it to look like it was the full email message, not like it was an image added to an email. It looked terrible, so I finally resorted to signing up with MailChimp, which allows you to adjust the size of the pdf or image and actually sends it looking pretty much the way you set it up on the back end.

Please consider reviewing your mobile-friendly layouts. It would also be lovely if you could add back in the ability to link within your document so you can have table of contents again for longer newsletters.

- Lauren (very long time user of constant contact)

Frankie_P
Status changed to: Open Questions

Hi @TommyT80 what features of our non-mobile editor are you looking for? How would you expect to select one of these templates? Also, what about the ability to resize your PDF image does not fit your needs?

JosephS45
Campaign Collaborator

Hi folks, 

I was having the same issue with a headshot. I only liked the desktop version. The mobile version made the headshot look bigger (in my opinion - too big). I read Frankie_P's comment and then resized the image in Preview (I have a Mac) so that the resolution was only 200 pixels wide. And then I re-uploaded the image to CC. Finally, I replaced the old headshot with the resized image.  That seems to have worked b/c the desktop version is fine and now the mobile version is a bit smaller. 

Thanks!

TommyT80
Rookie

When you resize an image, it looks great on the backend, but the email platforms, like outlook, resize I assume for mobile use. Both pdfs and images. I tried this with survey monkey and it looks much better. I can find images of that example if I need to. Here are today's examples. 

Image in the cc editor: original images.png

How it looks in outlook email:

resized images.png

Frankie_P

Hi @TommyT80 thank you for following up with these details and screenshots! Our mobile responsive templates cause images uploaded at a large size to resize and fit the screen full width.  To help stop this from happening users can resizing images outside of Constant Contact to be 150-200 px wide and upload this more manageable size into your Library.

Updates
Introducing our new Feedback area

Our Feedback board is changing! From updated statuses to clearer processes, we're working to improve the conversation between you and our Product teams

Visit the Blog
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST
Announcements
What's New?

See the latest Constant Contact product release notes and updates.

Learn More