cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacts being lost when uploaded

Highlighted
All Star

Contacts being lost when uploaded

We are repeatedly having the same issue - when we upload a contact list (for example the one we just did with 1064 email addresses), once it is in Constant Contact it has far fewer emails listed (this one translated to 595).  When an email is sent using that list it is only sent to the smaller number (595 for ex.).

Why are we losing so many contacts between Excel and uploading to CC?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Contacts being lost when uploaded

Hi @NeedlesEye

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I apologize for any confusion there may be with your contacts. There are actually a number of reasons why your number of contacts will change when uploading a list into your account. These reasons include duplicates, contacts without email addresses, and already existing unsubscribed contacts. Because our system recognizes contacts by their email address - we remove duplicates on a list, do not add contacts without an email, and remove those who have previously unsubscribed. I took a look at your account and can see the difference in sent recipients versus your list as well. The email status of many contacts in the your sent list are set to have no-permission. Contacts with no permission will not be sent your emails. You can find these contacts by exporting your list, and including Email Permission Status as a field you want to include in your export.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

Frankie, 

Thanks for your swift reply.  We remove contacts with duplicates, those without email addresses and those that have unsubscribed before uploading.  So I don't think that is the issue.

Having read the description of no-permission contacts I don't believe that should account for a 50% loss when uploading.  We only receive contact information and email addresses through direct contact with constituents who opt-in to our communications - we don't purchase lists or add uninterested folks to our mailing lists.

Is it possible that this in some way resulted when we migrated our marketing to CC a few years ago?

Tags (2)
Administrator

Hi @NeedlesEye. I apologize for the delay in our reply. It's great that you are taking those steps to clean up your contact list prior to uploading. In your file, do you happen to have more one tab in the spreadsheet? During the upload process, our system will only upload the first tab. If this is the case, you can create a new file with the second tab of contacts and upload this as a separate file. Please let us know if this helps!

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.